KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Working with DPN's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33162)

Jan in CA 11-07-2005 03:37 AM

Working with DPN's

My stepmom just brought me 7 sets of DPN's! :happydance: I tried them and holy cats! these suckers are a tad frustrating! :shock: Are you supposed to knit "inside" or "outside" of the piece? I'm having trouble getting my hands to work around all those needles! I was thinking of doing Silver's sock tutorial for the KAL, but maybe I need an easier project to start with till I get the hang of them?? :rollseyes:

tab 11-07-2005 08:39 AM

Most knitters knit 'outside' the piece on the side closest to them, as opposed to 'inside' the piece on the edge farthest away from them. Knitting on the 'inside' of the tube makes it so that the purl side of your stockinette is on the outside and the knit side is on the inside. If that didn't make sense, try knitting a few rows and looking at the way it turns out - knit side on the outside or purl side on the outside. If it isn't the way you want, turn the whole thing inside out and keep on truckin'. :)

rebecca 11-07-2005 11:32 AM

Jan, try watching Amy's video, just scroll down a bit & u will see the button for dpn knitting...have fun, it is really fun once u get it ;)

Jan in CA 11-07-2005 02:40 PM

Okay, I watched the video again and she starts on the opposite side (away from me) like I did. I was afraid this was "inside out". It's a little hard to tell how it's going because it's such a small piece she's working on. Maybe if I cast on lots of stitches it will make it easier, too?

Jeremy 11-07-2005 03:17 PM

Actually, look at Silver's pictures. There is one picture there that shows exactly how you knit on dpns.

Jan in CA 11-07-2005 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Actually, look at Silver's pictures. There is one picture there that shows exactly how you knit on dpns.

I did, but it still looks confusing. I think the only way to deal with this is jump in and try it and then ask 40 bazillion questions as I go along. ;)

Thanks for the help so far everyone! :thumbsup:

VictoiseC 11-07-2005 03:43 PM

Hi Jan! Yeah, with dpns you definitely need to JUMP IN and KEEP TRYING. It's always hardest the first couple of rows then the knitting holds it all together more. And be sure not to knit too tight as with all knitting.... I always knit my socks on 4 (5) needles because there's less stretching, and also they will collapse like so you sort of have the two needles on each side lining up.... hard to describe but you'll see it if you try it.

making sense here!? good luck, relax and don't give up!

Jazzmatazz 11-07-2005 04:18 PM

I just did my first DPN knitting last week, and a suggestion I got on another thread helped a LOT. Use larger DPNs and worsted weight yarn until you get the hang of it. I got the hang of it pretty fast, surprised even myself! And it worked best to keep the working needles next to my body just like using circulars. That prevents the inside-out knitting problem I seem to have.

Jan in CA 11-07-2005 11:41 PM

Arggghh! Still struggling, but I'll be darned if I'm going to let these get the better of me! :wall:

aprildavis99 11-08-2005 09:36 AM

I have found that the first 3 rounds are the hardest. Once I get going, I am ok. I used size 8s on a scarf (before I got my Addi 16" circs) and found it very difficult. I had to start over several times. I just made a tiny sweater for my son's toy racoon on size 2 dpns and had very little problems...after the first 3 rows, that is. I only had to start over twice. :lol:

Practice, practice, practice. :thumbsup: