KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitters in the North East (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33236)

punkhippiemom 11-09-2005 11:08 AM

Knitters in the North East

OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that... ;)
So, anyone in the Northeast that would like to give it a shot?? I know that term covers quite a bit of area, but if there's enough interest we could organize two or more... say, one near Pittsburgh, one near DC, one in New England.
Feedback??

Personally, I love daytrips, so any drive up to 3-4 hrs away is no problem.

Jeep_Girl 11-09-2005 11:35 AM

Hey Rebecca - I live in PGH so I'm glad to see this!!

I don't know if 3-4 hours just for the day would be doable - I'd have to stay the night somewhere to make it worth the drive - I don't like driving - my DH can attest to that - when we do long trips - I immediately sleep - poor thing has to drive the whole way.

CateKnits 11-09-2005 11:43 AM

It depends on when it is. I'm probably closer to you all when I'm home, but I only get to be home foe 5 weeks (aside from summer) all year, so I'm not giving that time up!
When I'm at school, I'd be willing to drive three hours or so, but I also have to think about having class and homework and whatnot. :rollseyes:

Sara 11-09-2005 12:00 PM

I'd love to meet you guys! I would consider making a longer trip (i.e. overnight), but like Cate, I have school to consider. I was thinking that northern PA would be a good compromise. There's also Elmira/Binghamton. People from PA could get up there in a couple hours and folks like Ingrid, Victoise, Cate, and I would be a couple hours away. (Sorry Susie, that would still be a long trek for you!) I don't know how far that is from NYC, I've never been east of Binghamton. We've only lived out here about 13 years. :rollseyes:

Darn all these mountains and lakes! They're all just in the way! Where's my flying car?!! :lol:

HeatherFeather 11-09-2005 12:08 PM

I"d love to get together with fellow KH people!!! :) I'm in Baltimore so fairly centrally located. DH drags...ahem...cough sputter...TAKES me to Civil War battle fields...:) so I figure I can TAKE him on a field trip like this!!!

VictoiseC 11-09-2005 12:10 PM

Hmmmm, yeah that's a great idea but, but there's a but, I hate driving too far by myself too. Binghamton is about 3 hours, not quite.
It would be a great summery thing. PA is not too far but I never go there. I wouldn't mind inviting you all to my place! I have a HUGE new sunporch that I'm actually thinking of turning into a knitting shop/class/get together place once it's finished (and as long as my DH doesn't mind which I don't think he will).

I'm in sheep/alpaca country too! Catskills, east of Binghamton about 3 hours I guess. Bovina Center. There are some really neat B & Bs in my little hamlet also. Well, let's kick it around and see what happens.
The other night I had some friends over and I excitedly pulled out my newest yarn which btw, is brilliant colors I got at the Wool & Sheep Festival, and they were like, 'ummmm, yawn, yes, isn't that lovely'' !!!!!!! So it would be nice to be around some ENTHUSED understanding knitters! :lol:

CateKnits 11-09-2005 12:17 PM

I like the idea of Binghamton (but it's about 5 hours for all you MD folk :P), but that's only because it's close. I go through it every time I go home. :D

Carol_OH 11-09-2005 12:38 PM

I'm in the Cleveland area, so any Pittsburgh/Buffalo kinda meet up would be good for me - even mid-PA okay.

KellyK 11-09-2005 01:48 PM

Re: Knitters in the North-East - Get Together??

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkhippiemom
OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that... ;)

NO YOU SHOULDN'T!!! We are GLAD to serve as some sort of inspiration!! :cheering:

amy 11-09-2005 01:53 PM

Great idea!!! :cheering:

If western Massachusetts isn't too far for y'all, I happen to live 1/2 hour from the country's largest yarn store!! (Webs, aka www.yarn.com ) I bet we could get a room to ourselves to hang out, and Northampton's a great town for food and shopping. :D

Sounds like NY might be a more central hub though? :thinking: