Forum Forum (
-   General Knitting (
-   -   Knitters in the North East (

punkhippiemom 11-09-2005 11:08 AM

Knitters in the North East
OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that... ;)
So, anyone in the Northeast that would like to give it a shot?? I know that term covers quite a bit of area, but if there's enough interest we could organize two or more... say, one near Pittsburgh, one near DC, one in New England.

Personally, I love daytrips, so any drive up to 3-4 hrs away is no problem.

Jeep_Girl 11-09-2005 11:35 AM

Hey Rebecca - I live in PGH so I'm glad to see this!!

I don't know if 3-4 hours just for the day would be doable - I'd have to stay the night somewhere to make it worth the drive - I don't like driving - my DH can attest to that - when we do long trips - I immediately sleep - poor thing has to drive the whole way.

CateKnits 11-09-2005 11:43 AM

It depends on when it is. I'm probably closer to you all when I'm home, but I only get to be home foe 5 weeks (aside from summer) all year, so I'm not giving that time up!
When I'm at school, I'd be willing to drive three hours or so, but I also have to think about having class and homework and whatnot. :rollseyes:

Sara 11-09-2005 12:00 PM

I'd love to meet you guys! I would consider making a longer trip (i.e. overnight), but like Cate, I have school to consider. I was thinking that northern PA would be a good compromise. There's also Elmira/Binghamton. People from PA could get up there in a couple hours and folks like Ingrid, Victoise, Cate, and I would be a couple hours away. (Sorry Susie, that would still be a long trek for you!) I don't know how far that is from NYC, I've never been east of Binghamton. We've only lived out here about 13 years. :rollseyes:

Darn all these mountains and lakes! They're all just in the way! Where's my flying car?!! :lol:

HeatherFeather 11-09-2005 12:08 PM

I"d love to get together with fellow KH people!!! :) I'm in Baltimore so fairly centrally located. DH drags...ahem...cough sputter...TAKES me to Civil War battle fields...:) so I figure I can TAKE him on a field trip like this!!!

VictoiseC 11-09-2005 12:10 PM

Hmmmm, yeah that's a great idea but, but there's a but, I hate driving too far by myself too. Binghamton is about 3 hours, not quite.
It would be a great summery thing. PA is not too far but I never go there. I wouldn't mind inviting you all to my place! I have a HUGE new sunporch that I'm actually thinking of turning into a knitting shop/class/get together place once it's finished (and as long as my DH doesn't mind which I don't think he will).

I'm in sheep/alpaca country too! Catskills, east of Binghamton about 3 hours I guess. Bovina Center. There are some really neat B & Bs in my little hamlet also. Well, let's kick it around and see what happens.
The other night I had some friends over and I excitedly pulled out my newest yarn which btw, is brilliant colors I got at the Wool & Sheep Festival, and they were like, 'ummmm, yawn, yes, isn't that lovely'' !!!!!!! So it would be nice to be around some ENTHUSED understanding knitters! :lol:

CateKnits 11-09-2005 12:17 PM

I like the idea of Binghamton (but it's about 5 hours for all you MD folk :P), but that's only because it's close. I go through it every time I go home. :D

Carol_OH 11-09-2005 12:38 PM

I'm in the Cleveland area, so any Pittsburgh/Buffalo kinda meet up would be good for me - even mid-PA okay.

KellyK 11-09-2005 01:48 PM

Re: Knitters in the North-East - Get Together??

Originally Posted by punkhippiemom
OK, there has been some talk that we shouldn't let the Illinoisians have all the fun with their getting together and knitting and all that... ;)

NO YOU SHOULDN'T!!! We are GLAD to serve as some sort of inspiration!! :cheering:

amy 11-09-2005 01:53 PM

Great idea!!! :cheering:

If western Massachusetts isn't too far for y'all, I happen to live 1/2 hour from the country's largest yarn store!! (Webs, aka ) I bet we could get a room to ourselves to hang out, and Northampton's a great town for food and shopping. :D

Sounds like NY might be a more central hub though? :thinking: