KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   OT - Favorite Books (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33403)

Lindsey H 11-14-2005 12:14 AM

OT - Favorite Books

I've noticed that some of you are including favorite books and/or books you are currently reading. I have started listening to books on tape/CD while I knit. I don't have time to knit and read so this is my compromise. I love to read but I have not have much time in the last few years (especially since I do not have the willpower to put down a good read and do things like cook dinner :rollseyes: ). I need suggestions. I love mysteries, historical fiction (not of the romance variety) and just nice stories such as the Mitford series :D . For the most part I only listen to books that my children can hear if they come into the room :oops: . I like Sue Grafton's books and some of the language is a little salty but I just listen when the are in bed.

Thanks for you help

_____
The Mod Squad was here :thumbsup:

Jan in CA 11-14-2005 12:24 AM

Oh boy... I LOVE to read! I usually read in bed before I go to sleep. I'll give you a list of my favorites and the best thing to do to see if you like them is to copy the author and/or title into amazon and read the summary about it and what reviewers say. That's how I find a lot of books. Okay here goes..

My favorite authors are:
  • Sue Grafton
    Janet Evanovich ( I LOVE THESE!! They are hilarious!)
    Patricia Cornwell
    Jan Burke
    Robert Crais
    Diane Mott Davidson

A few books that are just random, but REALLY good:
  • My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
    An Egg on Three Sticks by Jackie Moyer Fischer
    The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
    The Bamboo Chest by Frederick Graham
    Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nightime by Mark Haddon
    The Secret Live of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
    The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay

kimmie 11-14-2005 08:36 AM

I second Jan's recommendations of The Secret Lives of Bees and My Sister's Keeper. I'll have to take a look at the other ones that she listed too. I also enjoy books by Maeve Binchy and Anne Tyler. I love Elizabeth Goudge's The Scent of Water, but I doubt it's on tape/CD.

kimmie

punkhippiemom 11-14-2005 08:55 AM

Here's our Blog for Book Talk on the blog page - several pages of recommendations there ;) Ps... re: salty language - headphones!!! Plus it blocks out most of the noise of children/husbands/various assorted housepets! :thumbsup:

gardenia 11-14-2005 01:10 PM

Lindsey,

These are historical mysteries you could listen to with kids in the room:

Anne Perry, the Thomas Pitt Series (set in Victorian England -- good mysteries).

Fiona Buckley, Ursula Blanchard series (mysteries set in Elizabethan England).

I'm sure I can come up with a lot more. I love historical mysteries, too.

Hope this helps!

gardenia (I'm back!)

aprildavis99 11-14-2005 01:21 PM

For good clean and funny mysteries, I have loved "The Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Or maybe you could look for the classics on CD/tape. Like Little Women or Treasure Island, or The Secret Garden. Something maybe the kids might want to listen to with you...if they promise to be quiet, that is... :rollseyes:

Jan in CA 11-14-2005 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aprildavis99
For good clean and funny mysteries, I have loved "The Cat Who..." series by Lilian Jackson Braun.

I've seen these, but never tried them. I've read everything by the authors I posted so I'm always looking for more. Thanks!
Quote:

Or maybe you could look for the classics on CD/tape. Like Little Women or Treasure Island, or The Secret Garden. Something maybe the kids might want to listen to with you...if they promise to be quiet, that is... :rollseyes:
What a great idea to introduce them to the classics! They'd probably only take it in short bursts, but then you could listen to what YOU want when they split. :lol:

Shandeh 06-01-2006 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA
My favorite authors are:
  • Sue Grafton
    Janet Evanovich ( I LOVE THESE!! They are hilarious!)
    Patricia Cornwell
    Jan Burke
    Robert Crais
    Diane Mott Davidson

Okay Jan - I'm taking your advice. I just found a bunch of paperbacks on eBay by Jan Burke and Patricia Cornwell. I'm gonna give 'em a try!

Shandeh 06-01-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

I LOVE "The Cat Who..." books! I've been collecting the hardbacks now for about a year. So far, I have 16!

Jan in CA 06-01-2006 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolina red
Quote:

I LOVE "The Cat Who..." books! I've been collecting the hardbacks now for about a year. So far, I have 16!

I hope you like the books! I've never read "The Cat..." books. Have to try them sometime.