KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Lucy Bag strap help!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33479)

Andrea 11-15-2005 09:21 PM

Lucy Bag strap help!!

Ok, I've attached the long strap to the stitches on stitch holder C...now the short strap is putting the stitches on stitch holder B onto a DPN and begin the strap...

I get that, BUT I screwed up the kitchener stitch for the long strap and ended up binding off...so I have no working yarn. I don't know if that would have happened if I did the kitchener stitch? So do I have to cast on again to start knitting the second strap. Lucy isn't supposed to make me think this much!! :??

Jeremy 11-15-2005 09:33 PM

I think I understand your question but let me know if I don't get it. Once you finish the long strap, you want to attach it to the stitches on the stitch holder closest to it using the kitchener stitch. Once you're done with that, weave the remaining yarn into the inside of the bag. You really don't have to be too fussy because the felting will hide it. Then put the stitches that are on the stitch holder for the short strap on a new dpn.Then, begin the short strap with a new strand of yarn in the same way you would if you ran out of yarn and had to start a new ball.

Andrea 11-15-2005 09:37 PM

Ok, so you did cut the yarn after the long strap?? That part I got right at least!

Here's my dumb question, if I am starting anew ball, I would tie a know around the yarn that is about to run out, so what am I tying the new strand to??

I'm so sorry if I sound stupid!! ALso, you can ignore the PM, I didn't know if you'd see I wrote you in the finished project forum

Jeremy 11-15-2005 11:33 PM

You're not being stupid, believe me. Before you begin the Kitchner stitch on the long strap, you had to break off the yarn in order to thread the needle. Then you wove that thread through the stitches on the the two dpns, gradually slipping the stitches off as you are finished with them. When you are done with the Kitchner stitching you will be left with a dangling thread with a needle on it. Use the needle to weave the remainder or part of it into the wrong side or inside section of the bag. Now, with the thread that is still attached to your ball of yarn begin the short strap. You'll do this by inserting a dpn into the stitches on the stitch holder. Insert another dpn into the first stitch knitwise. Drape a section of the thread from the ball of yarn about 4" from the end around the inserted needle and knit it in. Then just go about knitting from the ball of yarn as always. After you are done with the strap, you'll go back and weave the tail into the inside of the bag. Let me know if you need a picture and I'll give it a shot :thumbsup:

Andrea 11-16-2005 07:48 AM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I get it!! You are the best! THANK YOU!! :D :cheering: :D :cheering:

Jeremy 11-16-2005 02:12 PM

My pleasure :D