KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   WIP: The Saga of the Hat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33749)

DotMom61 11-22-2005 02:42 PM

WIP: The Saga of the Hat

I started a hat yesterday ...

Here's the first 1/2:

This is the same pattern that KellyK used for her baby set, but it's the "Children's" size.

Go here to read the Saga of the Hat (subtitle: The Day of Waiting Endlessly.)

I'm using Lion Brand Magic Stripes Jelly Bean -- not as crazy about it as I thought I would be. I like the yarn; don't like the colors or the pattern (or lack thereof) that it's making. I want to use KnitPick's Simply Stripes instead.

Oh, and now I'm unknitting the start of the 2nd half ... after 4 rows I discovered that I had begun to knit it inside out. :doh:

KellyK 11-22-2005 04:02 PM

I see whatcha mean about it being just stripes in a "random" kind of order, but I would think DS would like it!! They are boyish colors, I think, although, since I am not now, nor have I ever BEEN a boy, I cannot be 100% sure.

This hat has some kind of bad shushu surrounding it!!

koolbreeze 11-22-2005 04:09 PM

you say there is more to this hat!? and its for a child! wow i must be missin something. seems kind of big!

DotMom61 11-22-2005 04:16 PM

Kelly,

The hat is for my niece :rollseyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK
This hat has some kind of bad shushu surrounding it!!

You must be right. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolbreeze
you say there is more to this hat!? and its for a child! wow i must be missin something. seems kind of big!

Carmell --

It's one of those hats where you knit one side (using a provisional cast-on), then you come back & get those lives stitches, and knit another hat in the other direction. When you're done, you shove the 2nd hat inside the 1st hat, and you have a double layer. You can use two different colors, too, but I didn't.

It also looks big 'cause I have it hanging down on a container that is too small to fill it. I'm hoping that washing & blocking will take the lumpiness away.[/quote]

koolbreeze 11-22-2005 04:22 PM

gotcha!!! :thumbsup: it'll be nice and toasty!

Angelia 11-22-2005 05:05 PM

That looks great! :thumbsup:

And I really like the colors and striping--what's not to like? The wonkiness gives it wonderful character, I think!

KellyK 11-22-2005 05:23 PM

OH! Your NIECE! Well, in that case, having been both a girl AND a niece, I can give it my FULL endorsement! :thumbsup:

And, YES....machine washing & drying will fix all that lumpiness that I dont see.

DotMom61 11-22-2005 05:33 PM

Well, I have now managed to repair the inside-out knitting. Good thing I have another Size 3 circular here. I just *know* it's going to look so much better when I get it all done. :rollseyes:

And now, I think I'll go and order some WOTA for the 2 bags I still need wool for, and while I'm at it, don't you think I ought to throw in some sock yarn??? :figureditout:

KellyK 11-22-2005 05:40 PM

OH YES! ABSOLUTELY! It would be SINFUL NOT TO!!! :angelgrin:

VickiIL 11-22-2005 05:42 PM

Julie, I love all the colors and the random stripes are fun. I am sure your niece will love it.