KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO - Double-sided White Sox hat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33873)

KellyK 11-26-2005 02:45 PM

FO - Double-sided White Sox hat

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the hat I made (& re-made) for my BIL who is a HUGE White Sox fan! I originally cast this on months ago as a double-knit hat, but after I made the two baby hats I liked that technique (provisional CO, knit hat, PU prov. sts & knit hat in opposite direction, then shove one inside the other) better. This way, its still double-thick and WARM, but I avoided having a backward logo on the second side and he has an option for a "less busy" design. The second side just has the two lt gray stripes. This was my first attempt at stranding, and some of the design sts are a bit wonky, but, hey....

Ingrid 11-26-2005 03:16 PM

:cheering: :cheering: Great! He'll love it!

VictoiseC 11-26-2005 04:34 PM

Neat hat Kelly! So glad you posted this coz I was just about to start a double knit hat from that pattern on patterncentral that you used but then I saw this method and was wondering if it was better.

I'm dying to try double knitting but... hey, did you notice that in the pattern they leave out casting on Color B? Isn't that a mistake?

It says this:

Cast on 162 stitches in color A.
If you want to make your hat smaller or larger, you can cast on a different number of stitches. When changing the number of stitches, check your gauge and multiply the number of stitches per inch by the desired head circumference. Multiply this number by two (you're essentially knitting two hats, remember!) and cast on the resulting number.

Row 1: With color A *K1, bring yarn forward, slip next stitch purlwise, bring yarn back*, repeat from * to * across the row. DO NOT TURN WORK!
Row 2: With color B *slip next stitch purlwise, bring yarn forward, P1, bring yarn back*, repeat from * to * across the row.

Am I missing something? Nice hat anyway! cheers, Vic

KellyK 11-26-2005 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope...not a mistake. The CO edge will be all one color. If you CO with both colors held as one, you will cast on HALF the number of required sts because each CO st will have two strands, and you will end up with a "mottled" looking edge, and will have to sort the colors out so they alternate as you knit that first row. Here's a pic of the first DK hat I made for DH oh so long ago...you can see the difference.

Andrea 11-26-2005 11:02 PM

Very cute KK!!
Go Sox!

Sascha 11-27-2005 12:47 AM

Looks great!

VictoiseC 11-27-2005 11:50 AM

thank you!

Thanks Kelly! They didn't bother to explain that, it was a complete mystery to me. You are too smart! :D

dustinac 11-27-2005 11:54 AM

:cheering: Great job he will love it :thumbsup:

KellyK 11-27-2005 02:20 PM

He DID love it!! :cheering: And, it turns out he has dedicated their computer room to the Sox. :rollseyes:

Ingrid 11-27-2005 02:21 PM

:cheering: :cheering: