KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   KH Monthly Challenge--December (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34097)

Hildegard_von_Knittin 12-01-2005 08:01 AM

KH Monthly Challenge--December

December is one of my favoite months. Not because of Christmas, or the long break from schoo, but because it is a festive, colorful break from the drab bleakness of November. In accordance, the theme for December is:

Knit something C O L O R F U L

Do you need some inspiration?
December 1st is the day of many celebrations, both nation- and world-wide. Today, we celebrate World AIDS Day, Eat a Red Apple Day and Rosa Parks Day; already, on the first day, we have a theme of RED

The flower for December is the Narcissus---delicate white, which also matches the 5 inches of snow I woke up to this morning for the first time this season.

The December stone is Blue Topaz or Turquoise; Hanukkah is associated with Blue and White because they are the colors of the Israeli flag.

Celebrate Kwanza--family, community and culture-- with Red, Black and Green.

My favorite Holiday Song--Silver and Gold! Wouldn't that make a fabulous Fun Fur capelet or scarf to wear to those holiday paarties and new year's eve!

Pointsettia Day is Dec. 12th ... I prefer the pink ones, myself.

Celebrate all those pine needles on your floor by knitting something green!

This is a GREAT challenge for those of you who want to try your first colorwork project--using more than one color in a row! OR, if you're already knitting SOMETHING, and it's a COLOR (as opposed to clear!) you get to participate too!!!! Remember, you can participate in the challenge without starting a brand new project--work it into those presents you'll be furiously knitting over the next few weeks!

Happy Knitting :-)

KellyK 12-01-2005 08:12 AM

:cheering: YAYYYYYYYYYY!!! :cheering:

Everything on my to-do list has a color! GREAT one, Hild!!!

Ingrid 12-01-2005 08:13 AM

Great idea Hildie! Every holiday gift can be included in one way or another, and it's an opportunity for people to do the "some day I'm gonna try that color work." :cheering:

earthchick 12-01-2005 08:19 AM

Hmm, so the cream colored NEBB I'm working on probably doesn't qualify. :thinking:

But I AM getting ready to try my first adult hat, and it'll be in a Manos colorway - that counts right? :happydance: (my first KAL!)

CateKnits 12-01-2005 09:13 AM

Everything I'm knitting is a color! Yay for me! :roflhard:
I think I'm going to use this as a sign that I need to finish my self-"striping" socks. :rollseyes:

kemp 12-01-2005 09:44 AM

How fun!

Does black or white count as a color? How about puke green? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

(unfortunately, I am not kidding. Those are the lovely colors I have on the needles right now!)

knitncook 12-01-2005 10:30 AM

Fun fun fun. I'm knitting some yellow and blue slipper socks so I guess that counts :D

nicolethegeek 12-01-2005 10:31 AM

YAY!!! I'm partcipating too! I'm working on a black and red striped winter set for 3 yo DS... I've got three other sets to complete, one striped, two in wild varis. Then I've got a ton of camo yarn to make into socks.
Gonna be a colourful month here too {esp with my words if I keep making all the mistakes I have been lately!}. :roflhard:

Angelia 12-01-2005 11:09 AM

Thanks for making this an easy-but-festive one, Hildie!

Woo hoo!! :cheering: I'm participating:

FT clogs (starting this weekend) in cherry blossom...

booga in carrot & chestnut (thought I'd ordered pumpkin and maple syrup...I think I was hungry)

socks in green, socks in Simple Stripes Autumn

hat in red

....More color to come!

Sara 12-01-2005 11:21 AM

What an excellent transition from last month! I felted my mittens (a first for me!) last night and today I will be making my first attempt at colorwork. The brim of my hat will have a band of diagonal stripes. I'm making it to match my moebius that was made with Manos "Prairie" colorway. I found a much less expensive yarn in matching colors. The mittens and most of the hat are dark brown, the band will be brown, light rust and maroon. I'm so happy!!