KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Latifa scarf (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35180)

Tamar Dohel 12-29-2005 08:20 AM

Latifa scarf

Hi all,

Has anyone knitted or wants to knit this scarf (see free patterns on this site).

I would like to share ideas and ask questions.

Tamar

melissa.atkins 01-02-2006 07:33 PM

I cant see the pattern... :(

knitterma 01-02-2006 08:22 PM

I think she's referring to this one . :D

I've never done it, so no advice here! :)

Tamar Dohel 01-03-2006 08:50 AM

Welcome Melissa!

Nice to have you with us. I like the scarf you knitted on your website. May be you could share your secret pattern with us.

Knitterma, you have attached the correct pattern that I am interested in knitting. (I don't know how to work the links.)

So, come on everyone - surely this is a beautiful scarf. And you don't need to use the expensive yarn on the original pattern or pure wool. You also don't need to be experienced - I am a total begginer!

So, guys, lets knit!

Anya 01-04-2006 09:48 AM

ooooh- very pretty. I'll KAL if this is a go :D

jodstr2 01-04-2006 12:11 PM

:heart: cute scarf!!! I love KPPPM. :heart:

Sandylynn 01-05-2006 01:53 AM

Latifa

I JUST today bought yarn to complete the Latifa scarf!! I found the pattern when I was looking for one for my 16-year-old daughter, Alex, and fell in love with this one for me. Only thing is, I promised my daughter to finish hers (different pattern) first. Of course, she's lucky now because I have a real incentive to get it finished soon and she'll have it before spring ;) .

I'm also a beginner - though I made a dress and sweater for Alex when she was about five, it's been a long time since I picked up any knitting needles. My 10-year-old wanted to learn to knit and got a kit for the holidays. She lost patience and I ended up making a hat for her from her kit and am hooked on it now.

The Latifa sounds pretty easy until the ruffles when it instructs to "pick up the stitches" and to knit front and back (thereby doubling the number of stitches). I have NO idea how to do either, but I thought I'd get the color block scarf out of the way and then try to figure it out.

Anyway, it's nice finding this forum. I look forward to chatting with you all.
Sandy Lynn

Tamar Dohel 01-05-2006 04:17 AM

Welcome Sandy!

I am soooooooooooo pleased you want to do this scarf too.

I've also got something to do first - a thick simple scarf for my dad and then I want to do the Latifa for his girlfriend who actually bought me the ruffles yarn and sent it to me. Because she is so nice and has done me a favour I have decided to make this scarf for her without her knowing.

I see that you're from NY. I don't know where Westchester is but I do know a lot of towns in NY because my dad lives in Syracuse and I've visited there many times. My next trip is planed for this summer.

Don't worry about the scarf seeming difficult because I've experimented with the ruffles and it's very simple. Only thing is it's very fiddly and you will probably want some three or more spare needles because the decrease gets so tight when kept going on the same needle. Another thing that might be worth doing which is not pointed out on the pattern is to keep stitches loose between colour blocks so they'll be easier to work with.

Must go. My daughter is calling.
Tamar

Sandylynn 01-05-2006 10:25 AM

Thanks for the welcome

Shalom Tamar,
Thanks for the welcome!
We live in Ossining, NY, which is about 45 minutes north of New York City. Where in Israel are you? I've visited Israel only twice in my life for two-week trips each, but my husband lived in Israel for a year while attending school.

On the scarf - I'm such a newbie I don't know what I'd do with extra needles. Are they supposed to be the same size as my original project needles, or smaller? And did you mean increased as opposed to decreased number of stitches (the ruffle doubles the number of stitches twice)? Do I just knit on my first pair of needles until it fills up and then stopper it and start on the second needle? :??

I'm a really s l o w knitter, so I'm not sure when I'll finally get to the ruffling...I suspect you'll be there long before me and I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with it. :D

Anyway, gotta go and start doing what has to be done so I can get back to my knitting sometime today...
Sandy Lynn

Tamar Dohel 01-05-2006 03:18 PM

Hi Sandy,

First of all I must apologize. I've mistakenly wrote decrease instead of increase :oops:. Yes, that must have confused you. If you have spare needles of size 3 or thereabouts it will help you. You might want to experiment like I did with some spare yarn first.

How comes your husband studied over here? What do they teach in Israel that is not taught in the States?

I live in a moshav north of Netanya. Where did your husband live?

We're going to get a digital next week - I hope - so, I'll keep you updated with what I'm doing and I'll send you a close-up of sampled ruffles that I'll do. The original picture on Knitty is not clear but once you see a close-up you'll realize that it's quite easy and very clever.

Night night for now. I'll check my e-mails again tomorrow.

Tamar