KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Creating Yarn: Spinning, Dyeing, etc. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Babe Spinning Wheels (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35472)

VickiIL 01-04-2006 01:16 PM

Babe Spinning Wheels

With all this talk about spinning wheels, I stared seaching the net. Has anyone here used a Babe Spinning Wheel? www.babesfibergarden.com The frame is made from PVC pipe. So the cost is a lot less than traditional wooden wheels. My budget is one of function over beauty at this point so I was curious if this compromise in form has compromised function as well. If anyone has an opinion on these wheels I would love to hear it.

Silver 01-04-2006 02:34 PM

I have a single treadle Babe Fiber Starter. That's what I used to learn to spin on. It's really a decent little wheel. Its only flaw is that the base needs to be weighted down a bit because when you start spinning, the whole wheel has a tendancy to tilt forward. I used a couple little 5 pound dumbbells and that fixed the problem. But I always thought I could probably fill the base pvc with sand too... I just never got around to it. ;)

In my opinion, it's a great wheel to learn on. No sense in spending $500 on a wooden wheel if you don't even know if you'll enjoy spinning! :thumbsup:

VickiIL 01-04-2006 03:38 PM

That pretty much was my worry...that it would be too light and move around or tip while spinning. But since weighting it down works I may just look into it farther. I would like an Ashford Kiwi...but I don't think I can talk my DH into the extra $$$. I am having a hard enough time talking him into the Babe.

koolbreeze 01-04-2006 08:18 PM

i have the electric one...haven't done any spinning yet. i did put it together. i can't get the bobbin to wind...so i'm wondering is it me or the machine!!! :thinking: the motor weighs this one down

ChroniclesofYarnia 01-06-2006 01:10 PM

I thought about doing the babe thing, but after hearing of others frustrations in my searches I decided not to go with it. Also, it is kind of ugly.

I got my wheel for cheaper than a Babe. I just kept an eye on ebay and estate sales, and ended up finding something on eBay. There were 2 wheel at an estate sale this past weekend, and they were both under 150.00. Also, if you go with a Kiwi or the cheapest Louet, you'll only be putting out a bit more, and it will look great in your living room.

BUT, if you do get the babe and decide to get something else at a later time, you can unload it on ebay for just a little under the price you paid for it. I was suprised that they were going for about 20 or 30 under the price for a brand new one.

VickiIL 01-06-2006 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YarnMommy
I thought about doing the babe thing, but after hearing of others frustrations in my searches I decided not to go with it. Also, it is kind of ugly.

It is definately ugly....I was hoping it was a good wheel but the more I found about it the more I decided not to go with it. Tomorrow I am going to be picking up my Ashford wheel! (style yet to be determined.)

Silver 01-09-2006 10:58 PM

Ugly? Shhhh! My Babe is happily sitting in it's prime exhibit spot (behind the sofa), while my wooden wheel sits tucked away (out in the open) in the living room.

Ugly or not, I still love my Babe and don't think I could part with it! :)