KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knit-Alongs (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Socks (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36109)

cheesiesmom 01-18-2006 10:35 AM

Socks

So, I just finished a project using knitpicks landscapes sock yarn and I loved working with it and a set of Brittany birch needles. Loved it so much that I thought knitting socks for all of the gals in the office for next Christmas (I'm starting early this time) would be a good project. I have never done socks, but I've bookmarked Silvers instructions for a walk-thru class figuring it would be most helpful. (It looks really easy to follow.)

However...all of the patterns I seem to look at are either for Large or you need foot measurements. Well, that's not gonna work since I can't get those, but probably could get shoe sizes. Can someone recommend a "beginner's" pattern that has an actual guage and a size other than large? When I buy socks they are in a one-size-fits-all. I didn't think this would be so difficult. Or am I just making more of it than it is?

KellyK 01-18-2006 01:58 PM

The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns has approximate inches based on shoe sizes....

mrselder 02-22-2006 03:15 PM

I think that Silver's sock tutorial gives you directions for the woman's average size foot. You really start to need measurements when the foot is unusually large or small.

BTW, Silver's sock tutorial is awesome. I did it for my first socks and loved it!

Jenelle 02-22-2006 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrselder
BTW, Silver's sock tutorial is awesome. I did it for my first socks and loved it!

I agree with that. She made it so clear on how to make socks.

I recommend it to anyone :thumbsup:

Julie 02-22-2006 05:49 PM

Me too...sock class is the best :thumbsup:

rebecca 04-17-2006 04:35 PM

I can't believe I missed a sock KAL :shock:

Fudgie 04-22-2006 06:30 AM

I am knitting socks now and I am using a patter for Regia wool (look on the OPITEC site for the wool) and for that you follow a different bit of a pattern depending on what foot size you are. e.g. if youare 1 -3, you follow 1 bit, and 4 - 6 andother bit etc. It is really good and easy to follow!

margie 04-22-2006 08:59 AM

I am knitting socks from the Ann Norling adult basic socks pattern. It is nice and simple, and is written for 3 gauges- fingering weight, dk/sport or worsted. What a great idea to knit socks for Christmas gifts! :thumbsup:

rebecca 04-22-2006 10:05 AM

I'm knitting gift socks now...I don't think I'll be knitting them for Christmas...I will be knitting them for me :roflhard: :rofling:

jamadian75 04-23-2006 12:43 AM

I was so happy when I saw this post.
I just started my first pair of socks a few days ago, and I think I'm beginning to see what all the buzz is about. You really start to see the finished product shaping up fast!!

Here are a couple pictures of the work in progress using Lorna's Lace Superwash Wool and a Fiber Trends pattern. I just started the Heel rows.

If we're going to do this sock knitting as a general KAL, count me in!! :D