KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Whats a good inexpensive cotton or cotton blend? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36690)

blueeyes28 01-31-2006 10:39 PM

Whats a good inexpensive cotton or cotton blend?

I would like to make a sweater for myself using a cotton or cotton blend and am looking for suggestions.

Ingrid 01-31-2006 11:15 PM

A lot of people like Knitpicks Shine--its a dk weight.

Mer 02-01-2006 12:23 AM

Webs (yarn.com) has a new cotton/microfiber blend that looks like it could be nice, but I've never used it. It's their own line--Valley Yarns--called Longmeadow.

jhelanee 02-01-2006 01:54 AM

I am currently making a sweater out of Elann's Endless Summer Collection Connemara. It is 100% cotton and they claim it is Aran weight but it seems thinner to me like a worsted weight or even a thick DK. I like the way it feels and knits, although it has a bit of a tendency to untwist such that it is easy to split if you are not paying attention.

knitbebe 02-01-2006 03:41 AM

I'm using a 100% cotton by cascade-Pima Melange. Lt. worsted. I bought mine from "one Fine Yarn" for $2. 85 (or somewhere in that price range) excellent price! I love the yarn. I hope to buy more soon, before it's all gone.

Let us know what you find--I'm always on the prowl for cotton yarn--it's
all I use. Living in the deep south makes finding an excuse to knit challenging! & finding suitable yarn.

knitbebe

hedgehog 02-01-2006 10:24 AM

I'm always looking for a good cotton/cotton blend too. It's just too warm here for wool most of the time...

Here's a review of different cotton and blend yarns from Knitter's Review (and other fibers!)

Also, you might want to have a look at WEBS. They have a pretty large selection.

-hh

blueeyes28 02-01-2006 10:25 AM

Thanks everybody :D

CarmenIbanez 02-01-2006 12:06 PM

Good review article about KnitPicks!

Other than color choices, I wonder if there is much difference between Longmeadow and Shine? Same fiber content, same yardage. I guess the only real difference is the DK/Worsted issue.

*sigh* I am so torn! The longmeadow comes in more colors too.

knitbebe 02-03-2006 12:52 AM

I'm working on the body....just checking to make sure I understand the directions.

Repeat the last 9(9, 11, ,12, 13) rnds 2 more times, then decrease rnd once more......

so....... I Dec. rnd, then knit 10 rnds ------Dec. rnd, knit 10 rnds, then dec rnd once more.

:?? I'm understanding it correctly?

thanks,
knitbebe

Mer 02-03-2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knitbebe
I'm working on the body....just checking to make sure I understand the directions.

Repeat the last 9(9, 11, ,12, 13) rnds 2 more times, then decrease rnd once more......

so....... I Dec. rnd, then knit 10 rnds ------Dec. rnd, knit 10 rnds, then dec rnd once more.

:?? I'm understanding it correctly?

thanks,
knitbebe

Which pattern are you talking about? I assume you're right, but it's hard to know without seeing the nine rounds before the line you wrote.