KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Andean colorwork hat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37178)

monzogary 02-13-2006 12:39 PM

FO: Andean colorwork hat

3 Attachment(s)
So here is the finished Andean hat I did for the KO - turned out to not be so much of a challenge as I thought! For the last 20 years I've been afraid I would have a big jumbled mess if I tried to do colorwork with a lot of colors, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I had a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to do a two color cast on, but finally figured it out with some help here. My 5 yo has decided she wants one too, so I think I will try to figure out how to make the hat just a bit bigger and make her one too. I have never done any pattern adjusting so that will be a challenge in and of itself. If I get that done quickly too, I have two pair of socks on needles that would be a challenge to get done after a second hat. Boy do I feel silly now that I made so much fuss over doing colorwork! This is my 2 1/2 yo showing off her new hat that she doesn't want to take off now. I made a few minor changes to the pattern - I made I-cord instead of twisted cords and I put a pom pom instead of a tassel. Laura really likes the pom pom - the hat is made with Lion brand Microspun and the pom pom is very soft and fluffy!

Yvonne 02-13-2006 12:44 PM

That is absolutely fantastic! I am crazy about the colors you chose and the pattern itself. You are born for color work, I'd say! :happydance:

Lana 02-13-2006 12:49 PM

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

Danielle 02-13-2006 01:29 PM

:shock: Wow! Excellent job! Very impressive! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA 02-13-2006 01:41 PM

That is gorgeous! You did a fantastic job! Is it intarsia or fair isle colorwork? One of these days I'll get brave enough to try something like this. I'm finding nothing is as hard as I thought. :lol:

bluesol 02-13-2006 01:47 PM

So Beautiful

It is Beautiful...what pattern did you use? I would love to make one for my DS. :inlove:

monzogary 02-13-2006 01:48 PM

Thanks everyone! I still feel so silly for choosing it as a KO challenge and then it turned out to be so easy. The colorwork is stranded like fair isle - I'm not sure I did it perfectly but it looks ok. Some of the stitches look a little looser or tighter in areas, but I don't know if the yarn is making it worse or its just that I need more practice. Microspun is a bit difficult to work with, but it is so soft and the pom pom is almost deliciously fluffy! Now to figure out how to make it a bit bigger... ;)

monzogary 02-13-2006 01:56 PM

Re: So Beautiful

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluesol
It is Beautiful...what pattern did you use? I would love to make one for my DS. :inlove:

I got it from a small book from Patons called "Small Wonders, trendy accessories for cool kids". I don't know if its still in print as I got it second hand from a friend.

gardenmommy 02-13-2006 02:13 PM

Just stunning! Love it love it love it!

feministmama 02-13-2006 02:32 PM

So microspun is good for SOMEthigns. That is just too cute. Good show :thumbsup: