KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting on the Go - Comfort Zone DPNs - Horrific problems! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37246)

sfavereau 02-14-2006 08:44 PM

Knitting on the Go - Comfort Zone DPNs - Horrific problems!

Has anyone had horrific problems with Knitting on the Go dpns? The points broke off within the first few rounds of my first ever sock, but I managed to rub them on my jeans to make the broken points somewhat useable again. Now, they are breaking about an inch or so from the tip. I HATE them... and there are no LYS that are open so I can replace them tonight. :doh: The dpns are supposed to be unbreakable, but they are just awful. They bend so easily that it makes knitting with them a chore. I KNEW I should've bought metal ones. Needless to say, I'm very dissappointed and will not be buying any more from them.

Ingrid 02-14-2006 08:50 PM

That's terrible! Looks like the "comfort zone" for those needles is very narrow, indeed.

Thanks for the heads up.

KellyK 02-14-2006 09:21 PM

WOW. That's INSANE! Ive never had trouble with any of my bamboo DPNs...mostly Crystal Palace, some Clover....

sfavereau 02-14-2006 09:26 PM

I'm so afraid to try anything but metal ones now! I'm not a tight knitter either. I usually need to go down a size to get the right gauge.

Should I try bamboo, or just go for the metal ones?

KellyK 02-14-2006 09:28 PM

What kind of straights and circs do you prefer? I find metal DPNs too slippy to make socks. I think you would probably be happiest with whatever material you use for everything else...

sfavereau 02-14-2006 09:43 PM

My favorite needles are my Denises, so that's why I thought I'd go with polymer. I've used both metal and bamboo dpns before. I started off with the metal ones, found them too slippery and used bamboos until I got comfortable. I've heard the smaller bamboo dpns tend to snap in half, so that's why I'm thinking about metal ones. Now that I've calmed myself down, I can wait and go to my LYS tomorrow and see what they have in the way of sock dpns. I've only been there once and it was before I moved to Colorado Springs, so it's high time I paid a visit! ;)

WynnieG 02-14-2006 10:17 PM

I would recommend bamboo for your smaller needles. If you find them "slick", a touch of extra fine grit sandpaper takes care of it.
Folks not accustomed or new to dpns often find metal needles "too fast" - I found them so when I began using them. If you do end up going with metal dpns, invest in a crochet hook near the gauge you're knitting in, because you will be using it to retrieve stitches. A lot. For dpns over 3.75mm I'd lean towards birch or some other hardwood.

The main trick with the fine gauge bamboo needles is to treat them like you would a fine writing instrument (ie a calligraphy pen), and hold lightly. If you hold them like a steak knife and try to knit, they will snap. Bamboo dpns do have a decent amount of give though, so once you get a feel for their tension threshold, you should be fine.

It's a shame about your "on the go" needles - any chance you'll be able to get a refund on them? I'd complain to the manufacturer, too. They definitely didn't perform as advertised.

sfavereau 02-14-2006 10:50 PM

Thanks WynnieG!

I did just send an e-mail to Knitting on the Go. Katherine Myers (I believe she owns this company) had sent me a really nice e-mail when she first shipped the needles to me asking me for my impressions on the needles. I told her exactly what had happened. We'll see what happens. I don't even want my money back... I just want small dpns so I can finish my sock! Heck, I was nearly on the toes. :rollseyes:

Well, the trip to the LYS tomorrow will be good. My poor doggie has to have knee surgery tomorrow and the LYS will help calm my anxiety while he is "under the knife".

Jan in CA 02-14-2006 11:13 PM

That's horrible!! :shock: I use magic loop for socks so I don't know much about DPNs, but I do like bamboo. Metal is pretty slippy for socks IMO.

Danielle 02-14-2006 11:56 PM

I've never tried that brand of dpn's....but I have tried some I bought at hobby lobby, can't remember the brand and I threw the package away but I think there was a whale or something like that on the pkg...Anyhoo, I don't like them at all. They are too flimsey, and I can't get the speed up knitting on them because they bend so badly. They are slick, I just wish they were sturdier. I prefer bamboo and metal dpn's. They're great! :thumbsup: