KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Lion Brand Homespun (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37367)

Ruby 02-17-2006 10:23 PM

Lion Brand Homespun

I made a shawl for my friend using Lion Brand Homespun. It took three skeins and the places where I joined them are protruding from where they were woven into the shawl. I have used this yarn before but didn't have this problem. Any ideas on what to do? All I know at this point is that I'll never use Homespun again.

Jenelle 02-17-2006 10:27 PM

You didn't knot the joins and then weave them in did you?

I never worked with homespun before, so I don't know what it is like. I did hear that it's one of the worst yarns to work with though :(

Ingrid 02-17-2006 11:25 PM

I'm not sure how to fix it, but I admire your determination not to use Homeshun again. I can't stand it either. I wish someone would make a yarn that pretty that isn't so awful.

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-18-2006 01:13 AM

agreed. I hate homespun. One of my LYSs sells homespun mill ends REALLY cheap, and every time I go in there I'm, like, hypnotized b y the colors "oooooh they're soooo beauuuutifullllllll" and i have to say NO BAD HILDIE!! I have a ton of it i have to get rid of, but they are the prettiest colors :mad:

Ruby 02-18-2006 01:39 AM

Lion Brand Homespun

Well, I joined the skeins and wove the ends in after I knitted a few more rows. So now I have some little tails that are hanging out and are fraying. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? I'm glad I'm not alone in disliking the yarn. It's one of a couple of their yarns I plan on not using again.

Hildegard_von_Knittin 02-18-2006 01:43 AM

yes we ignored your problem, sorry!!! :oops:

hmmmmmm. the only think I can think of is a dab of clear nail polish to stop the fray... but there has to be something else. Since it's acrylic,you MIGHT be able to burn the knots and melt the acrylic, but i'd be nervous about putting a flame near my knitting, no matter how much I hate the yarn.

ella 02-18-2006 08:36 AM

OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!

HollyP 02-18-2006 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ella
OK, this breaks some rules but it worked for me when I was hypnotised into using Homespun for a baby blanket("Oh, but the color is so perfect!") I tacked loose ends down with sewing thread. That seemed to stay and was also fairly unbotrusive thanks to the fuzziness of the yarn. HTH!

I did the same thing on a baby blanket, it worked great. It is the only blankie my nephew will use without complaining "scwatchy"(Translation this blanket is really scratchy Mom. Can I get the one Auntie Holly knit for me?)

quirky 02-18-2006 09:38 AM

I had posted earlier that I had used homespun alot. That's true enough.
But after my latest project I will never use it again!

I had just gotten 2/3 way through my sweater front and had to add a skein. Despite my careful attention to dye lot at least one of my skeins is darker than the rest. There is a distinct line at the join that custs across my breast!. Trying another skein was not an option as I could not find more in my area.

Oh yes - and the ends. Here I thought any trouble I had had with the ends was due to my own ineptness! I ended up knotting my ends.

Ruby 02-19-2006 03:46 PM

I think I'll try sewing the ends in first. Thanks for the ideas!