KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Am I crazy for wanting to do this? *with pic now* (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37479)

kellyjo32 02-20-2006 09:25 PM

Am I crazy for wanting to do this? *with pic now*

Okay, so I'm bored with stockinette...and I want to give something else a whirl...and then I got dressed to go out and put on my fave sweater...and wondered...hmm...this would be fun to knit. ;) But am I crazy for wanting to replicate a store bought sweater? I has a large cable pattern down the front, and diagonal ribbing along the sides (I can't even imagine how this would work?)...sleeves are just K3 P2 ribbed, and it's a mock turtleneck. But I :heart: it and I want one in every color!!! Would this be insane to attempt (I'm kind of a newbie, been knitting about 6 months)? But I can't help it, I always jump right into things!! :D

Jenelle 02-20-2006 09:43 PM

I say go for it :thumbsup:

Indygirl 02-20-2006 10:23 PM

Re: Am I crazy for wanting to do this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjo32
Okay, so I'm bored with stockinette...and I want to give something else a whirl...and then I got dressed to go out and put on my fave sweater...and wondered...hmm...this would be fun to knit. ;) But am I crazy for wanting to replicate a store bought sweater? I has a large cable pattern down the front, and diagonal ribbing along the sides (I can't even imagine how this would work?)...sleeves are just K3 P2 ribbed, and it's a mock turtleneck. But I :heart: it and I want one in every color!!! Would this be insane to attempt (I'm kind of a newbie, been knitting about 6 months)? But I can't help it, I always jump right into things!! :D

Sounds like something fun to try. I am knitting a Toddler Poncho from a store bought.I have a friend who is a very good knitter, she helped me make up the directions to go by. If all goes well I will be posting it when finished. Hope all goes well for you and the sweater :thumbsup:

knitqueen 02-20-2006 10:42 PM

I'm doing the same thing....see this thread:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting...587&highlight=

Go for it!!!

The diagonal 'ribbing' could actually be crossed cables, which different from twisted cables actually carries two (or however many) knit stitches to the left or the right, over a background of purl stitches.

knitncook 02-21-2006 05:08 PM

On knitting show on DYI (I never can remember the name of it) they had a whole episode last week (may have even been Tuesday) about doing cables and the "guest designer d'jour" had everyone wearing a different one. They were so fun and made me think about actually trying to knit an adult sized sweater again. (In 30 years of knitting baby sweaters: 25-ish adult sweaters: 0!) I think I am going to wait until this spring and make it a spring/summer project so it will be ready for that first bite of cold we get in, oh December.

ecb 02-21-2006 07:28 PM

:rollseyes: I am even more insane than that
my Brother likes to shopin this VERY SWANKY, VERY EXPENSIVE store a few towns down the highway from us
:shock:
The prices were scarey
BUT
I almost bought 4 hats and 2 pairs of Gloves JUST to reverse engeneer the patterns

ecb

kellyjo32 02-21-2006 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, so here's a pic of the sweater. Notice the sides...is that diagonal ribbing? Is that just created by ribbing and decreasing? That's the only part that has me baffled...although, I haven't tried cables either... ;)

Ingrid 02-21-2006 07:47 PM

I'd bet that the diagonals are created by twist stitches, sort of like a cable, but you hold the two knit stitches on the cable needle and purl the other stitch. I know I've seen a sweater with these kinds of ribs on it. I'll check around.

CarmenIbanez 02-22-2006 01:20 PM

First of all: DO IT DO IT DO IT. Then post the pattern (or sell it, I would buy) because I LOVE LOVE LOVE that sweater!!

kellyjo32 02-22-2006 01:34 PM

Okay, I'm going to go for it...maybe not today, but I will. It will be a task to find a yarn though. I'm telling you, this sweater is great....I love it too! That's why I want more of them!!! And the fit is great too, so I don't have to mess with trying to resize it! I will definitely keep everyone updated on the progress once I start! :cheering: