KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   need reasonable $ natural fiber yarn for baby project...help (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38003)

hedgewick 03-04-2006 06:03 PM

need reasonable $ natural fiber yarn for baby project...help

One of my best friends is expecting a baby in the fall and I would like to knit a blanket for the little guy/girl. My friend is pretty picky about her own clothing as far as not using polyester or other "un-natural" fibers. She prefers cotton, wool and the like. I know she would feel the same about her baby. I'm on a fairly tight budget so my question is can anyone recomend a nice "natural" yarn for a baby that won't kill my wallet? I don't have a yarn store near me except a Joanne's but would order online if necessary. Would love it if it was machine wash/dry as well but that may be too picky. Not that big of a deal if it is great yarn. I'm a new knitter and don't know a lot about yarn yet. Any ideas would be great! Thanks! :XX:

countingsheep 03-04-2006 06:15 PM

maybe I can beat Ingrid on this one! :thinking: Maybe I'll even make a good suggestion!

At Joanne's they carry the Lion Brand Kitchen Cotton - it's 100% cotton and knits up nicely. Somewhere on here I posted a photo of an afghan that I did with double strands in the natural color. I got the big spools for $10 each - used 4 spools, double strand on size 11 needles and made a 5x6 afghan doing it in squares. They did have some pastel colors if I remember correctly. This might be worth considering AND it's washable!

Good luck! Ang

countingsheep 03-04-2006 06:20 PM

I found where I put that photo. The subject on General Knitting was "my dumbest question yet re: cotton yarn" and I posted a photo of the throw - you could do a search if you want to see the pic. You don't have to do double strands - for a baby blanket, might not want it that heavy anyway. This thing washes up so well and it was affordable.

Hope that it helps. Ang

Jaxhil 03-04-2006 06:25 PM

Cotton blankies are soo nice! I haven't tried it, but I've heard Bernat Cotton Tots knits up and washes up a lot softer than the kitchen yarns available. Since it's made for babies it comes in pretty colors for little ones too.

I know my sugar and cream and peaches and cream aren't reall soft after washing, so it's something to consider since this will be for a baby.

Good luck!

countingsheep 03-04-2006 06:27 PM

:shock: Hilary.... we beat Ingrid! :shock:

You don't think she's sick, do you?

Ang

hedgewick 03-04-2006 06:35 PM

countingsheep, LOVE the throw you made. I found the post and it is very nice. I think it is a little advanced for me but I'll have to look into these yarns you two mentioned. Thanks! Any other ideas? :XX:

Julie 03-04-2006 07:54 PM

Knitpicks Shine is really affordable and sooooo soft. It's machine washable and they just added new colors too that are so pretty! I've made several baby items with it. :thumbsup:

hedgewick 03-04-2006 08:40 PM

the knitpicks yarn looked nice too. I like shine as well as crayon. It's pretty cheap too so maybe I'll try it out. Does anyone know if knitpicks yarn is available in stores or online only?

Julie 03-04-2006 08:45 PM

It's only available online. And if you click through the link here at the forums, it helps support KH. :D

Jan in CA 03-04-2006 09:08 PM

Personally I wouldn't use the kitchen cotton like Lion Brand or Sugar and Cream. Even washed they are just not that soft. They work great for dishcloths though. I've used Bernat's Cottontots and it was pretty soft and I'm sure KP shine is soft and is a great price!