KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   HELP... Convert Flat Pattern Into Round (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39016)

kittyscorner 03-27-2006 11:39 PM

HELP... Convert Flat Pattern Into Round

Thisvest from Interweave Knits Magazine has been planned and dreamt about for months! Ok, Iíll admit it Iím on a somewhat yarn diet and canít get more yarnÖ To stick to my yarn diet, I gone through my stash and found 10 skeins of Dale of Norway Sisik in olive green just screaming out at me!! I fell all over in love with this yarn again, soooooo sooooo soft. The contents are: wool, mohair, acrylic and rayon.

Iím a little scared because instead of knitting it flat like the pattern said, Iím knitting it in the round! as you can see itís on my circs right now lol. I eliminated the 2Ks the the end and followed the cable pattern that it called for, so far so good Iím just afraid of getting up to the armpits when it divides from the front and back. Has anyone knit this in the round? I found references on other blogs where they have done this but I hadnít gotten a reply yet.

HelpÖ has anyone converted this pattern into round? or any pattern?

Hereís a picture of my progress.

Ingrid 03-27-2006 11:44 PM

What is your concern with knitting it in the round? When it comes time to get to the armholes, you can just put half of it on a waste yarn and do the other half as if it were knit flat. The good part, too is that when you divide it, you can try it on.

You'll be very glad you made it in the round--no seaming and a nice, continuous pattern all the way around!

kittyscorner 03-28-2006 12:04 AM

Hi Ingrid,

That's why I wanted to knit in the round, no seaming! I've made more progress since the picture. At the armpits actually, now what??!! lol

So do you recommend that I knit the rest flat? I was hoping to convert it and knit in the round.

Any tips?

Ingrid 03-28-2006 08:45 AM

If you wanted to knit the whole thing in the round, you'll need to add steeks for the armholes. You'd have to bind off for the armpit, then cast on 10 stitches over that gap on the next round. As you knit around, you'd knit those ten extra stitches in stockinette. When you get to the shoulder, bind off those extra stitches, sew two lines down the center with a space in between, and then cut the extra stitches between the lines of sewing.

To be honest, though, I think for a vest, I'd work the back and front separately, to avoid having to deal with the steek stitches that are left. For a sweater they're hidden when you pick up around the armhole for the sleeve, but I'm afraid they'd show through the lace, even if you knit an edging on the armholes.

kittyscorner 04-03-2006 02:39 PM

Aaaaah.. It all makes sense now, so when someone say they are converting knitting flat into round, they are not talking about doing the whole thing in the round.

Thanks for the explanation, sorry I couldn't get back to this thread sooner. I was out of town.

Thanks again!