KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cotton (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40846)

Jackie M. 05-15-2006 08:41 PM

Cotton

Has anyone used 100% cotton to make a purse or bag? What other items have you knitted with cotton, other than dishcloths? I'm considering making a purse from cotton but would rather get some opinions on it.

Thanks!

nicolethegeek 05-15-2006 10:52 PM

I've used it for a couple of bags, albeit in crochet. I used plain ol' dishcloth worsted weight for two that I can think of, and I used a combination of Lustersheen and South Maid thread for another at Christmastime. I like using cotton for bags and purses because it doesn't stretch as much as other yarns I have tried using. They are all very durable too.

cozy 05-16-2006 12:00 PM

I'm currently knitting the Prairie Tunic (IK Spring '06) in cotton. It's Rowan 4-ply, fingering weight. So far, so good. When it comes time to clean it, I know not to put it in the dryer. I'll hand wash it, even though it says it can be machine washed.

GeeBee 05-16-2006 02:08 PM

I am currently knitting a child's sweater (my 1st in 20 years!) with Plymouth Fantasy Naturale 100% cotton 4 1/2 sts = 1" on sz. 8. It is a gorgeous soft yarn, has some give, very nice to work with -- comes in gorgeous colors AND is machine washable.

I have also Lilly cotton (worsted weight) to crochet a child's sweater, and some fingerweight cotton, that i bought from a weaver, for a baby sweater.

I love working with cotton and think any of these would work for a purse.

samm 05-16-2006 04:36 PM

I crocheted a purse last summer in Butterfly cotton yarn. It was my favorite purse all summer and washed beautifully. I did line it, just with cotton. I've done the Haiku sweater in some old cotton blended with a little acrylic. Sorry I don't remember the name of this yarn. I found it in my stash. I find cotton doesn't stretch while knitting it, and sometimes I find that slows me down or messes with my tension. But I'm getting better at it! samm

GeeBee 05-16-2006 05:00 PM

Yes, cotton doesn't stretch like wool, so it does take some adjustment. However, the strands of Plymouth Fantasy Naturale are woven together, so that weave does give this cotton some give! ;)

dustinac 05-16-2006 05:04 PM

I've knitted little tanks for my girl or sweaters.. and I just knitted the bag from Nicki E's floral book out of cotton... scarves too... :thumbsup:

Jackie M. 05-17-2006 08:39 PM

I knew I could depend on you guys for advice. Thanks!

linsey 05-19-2006 09:01 AM

Knitpicks has some really nice cotton yarn called Shine. It comes in sport weight and worsted. I just finished two baby sweaters in the sport weight and they are incredibly soft. The label says machine wash and dry.

kitkat 05-19-2006 09:03 AM

Shine has a little resiliency to it also. I just swatched some and its in the wash as I speak along with a load of highschoolboy grubbies...