KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How to Sl1 WYIB? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42930)

Zubie 07-14-2006 09:33 PM

How to Sl1 WYIB?

SL1 WYIB - Does this mean that I slip the stitch knit wise or purl wise? After the slip, do I knit or purl a stitch?

Thank you

ekgheiy 07-14-2006 09:36 PM

Re: How to Sl1 WYIB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zubie
SL1 WYIB - Does this mean that I slip the stitch knit wise or purl wise? After the slip, do I knit or purl a stitch?

Thank you

Slip 1 st With Yarn In Back (WYIB)... ;) As it's written, though, it doesn't address knitwise or purlwise... :?? As far as what to do after the slip, that depends on the pattern. What pattern are you using?

Jan in CA 07-14-2006 09:37 PM

I always slip purlwise unless it says otherwise. I think most people do so the stitches don't get twisted. You just do it with the yarn in back. ;)

OH and most patterns give info on this type of thing so check to be sure that they don't say slip knitwise.

Zubie 07-14-2006 09:39 PM

This is the pattern that I am using. This is the first real pattern that I have tried to read so... They could clearify, but I'm just not getting it.

I also read that people slip purl wise unless told otherwise. But then after the slip should I purl or knit?

Thanks

ekgheiy 07-14-2006 09:43 PM

:thinking: According to Row1, you should P1 (etc) after the Sl1 wyib...

You just have to follow the row instructions stitch by stitch, because on row5, you have to P2 (etc) after Sl1 wyib.

For example: Take row5 ...

Row 5: *K3, P1, Sl1 wyib, P2, C4F, P2, K2, P1, Sl1 wyib, P1*; repeat from * to *; end K3.

###

First you Knit 3,
then purl 1,
then Slip 1 st with the yarn in the back of the work,
then purl 2,
then work your cable, (which is Slip next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, knit 2, then knit 2 from cable needle)
then purl 2,
then knit 2,
then purl 1,
then slip 1 again (wyib),
then purl 1,

%%%
then repeat everything between ### and %%%
then knit the last 3 sts

Hope the helps ya! :thumbsup:

Zubie 07-14-2006 09:52 PM

Ok, well I am pretty sure that that is what I was doing. For some reason though I keep getting more than 3 stitches left over after I am done repeating the row. I thought maybe that was where I was messing up. Hmm...

ekgheiy 07-14-2006 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zubie
Ok, well I am pretty sure that that is what I was doing. For some reason though I keep getting more than 3 stitches left over after I am done repeating the row. I thought maybe that was where I was messing up. Hmm...

Nope - you're on the right track :thumbsup: The pattern says you're supposed to have 3 stitches left after the repeat ;)

Zubie 07-14-2006 10:00 PM

But I end up with more than 3 Ive had as many as 8 sts. left over. :(

ekgheiy 07-14-2006 10:07 PM

:thinking: My first idea is to double check that you actually cast on 39 sts. I counted through the row and the 39 sts are accounted for in the pattern. My second idea is that you are somehow accidentally adding some stitches with inadvertant (sp :oops:) yo's over the course of your row... :thinking:

Do you have a digital camera? Maybe if you post a pic, we can try to identify added stitches ... or something else that may be causing the problem...

Zubie 07-14-2006 10:12 PM

That's an idea. I will have to make sure I am not doing that. Hehe leave it up to me to do something crazy like that.

So, just to be sure, When I slip a st., I go in like I am going to purl, but just take the st. off and add it to the right needle, correct? And then I purl 1 on the next st.?

Thank you for all of your help and fast replies.