KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   KP Retro Throw (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43029)

itsbecca1979 07-17-2006 10:40 AM

KP Retro Throw

I saw in someone's siggy that they'd made this, and for the life of me I can't rememebr who it was! Whoever you are, could you post a pic of it for me?

brendajos 07-17-2006 10:46 AM

it is carollovesyarn but her link is to the pattern not her f/o. i would like to see it too...I wonder what it would look like in something other than crayon...i am not a fan of that type of yarn really. :thinking:

itsbecca1979 07-17-2006 12:34 PM

I love the way it's made with the pattern, it just looks so complicated to me :??

geekgolightly 07-17-2006 05:40 PM

another fan of the pattern here and id love to know how the crayon worked out.

carollovesyarn 07-17-2006 08:00 PM

Thanks for wondering out loud. You got me off my butt to finally take a pic. :lol:

I have to tell the story first. First, I really wanted to knit a throw for my old chemo doctor's office. They treat patients there and one gets easily chilled and they have blankets, but they're not that comfy. Second, I like the way Lion Brand Homespun looks and feels - for what it is it's pretty soft. Someone here was selling some blue not my first choice in color, but hey the price was right. So I got the purple and gray and dk. gray to with the blue - and I got a really good sale deal at Joanns.

Now I understand why so many hate the Homespun. I finally got used to knitting with it and I REALLY love this pattern. It was fun making up stripes as I went along. First I was using a random stripe generator for kicks, but then I sort of started a theme, which you may be able to tell by the way they're laid out. It was easy to do, I really liked the fact that you make squares and then assemble. The I-cord edging was supposed to take care of the edge curling, but even though I did it loosely, it still curls. The lattice effect was a nice surprise when it was done.

I used about 8 skeins. I thought it would take more so I have 8 skeins left over. I don't think I want to make the same thing, so I'm looking for another pattern.

click to enlarge

carollovesyarn 07-17-2006 08:29 PM

pre-assembly (sorry for the flash quality) - click for largeness

snowbear 07-17-2006 08:57 PM

I love that throw.. it is beautiful... what a wonderful gift....

:XX: :heart:

Angelia 07-17-2006 09:44 PM

That's beautiful, Carol! And what a thoughtful gift! :heart:

geekgolightly 07-18-2006 06:15 AM

carol, its beautiful and youre awesome. what a lovely gift for a chemo office, i could sit for hours with that on my lap and be comforted and intrigued at the same time. good work!

also, you're going the grannie smith? oh man! its such a beautiful cardigan and i cant even imagine using kid silk haze for that! im using KSH for the branching out scarf (first lace project) and it's making me bonkas!

newbieknit 07-18-2006 07:09 AM

Carol that throw is absolutely wonderful! I would have a hard time giving that away! But then I'm greeeeedy :fingerwag: well, I'm greedy with beautiful home made blankets. (I do knit for foster children in my area). Was there any specific reason for not using Knit Picks Crayon? Aside from your love of Homespun, I mean. Was it cheaper? I priced the Retro Throw with Knit Picks Crayon and it's nearly $54. Is Crayon less 'comfy'?

Kats