KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   cotton washcloths? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43624)

tomsgirl2002 08-02-2006 08:32 PM

cotton washcloths?

Just a quick question - I have been wanting to make some washcloths, but all the patterns I see say that you should use cotton. Is there any particular reason for this? Thank you!!!!

projectgal 08-02-2006 08:57 PM

Basically, cotton is durable, absorbant, and (for the most part) cheap. You can machine wash and dry cotton, you can't machine wash wool.

For washcloths, the most affordable, easiest to find cotton is Peaches and Cream or Sugar and Cream. You can even find it at Michaels, Joanns, and yes, Walmart.

midnightskyfibers 08-02-2006 10:38 PM

Cotton also doesnt smell funky when it gets wet, like some wool does. It is also great for doing small doily or lace pattern in that can be used as washcloths.

Ingrid 08-02-2006 11:30 PM

And acrylic is basically plastic--not really absorbent.

AidanM 08-02-2006 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid

I dunno. Have you ever soaked something acrylic? Talk about taking forever to dry out...

EssenceRose 08-03-2006 04:06 AM

to combat the funky wet wool smell (it smells like a wet dog in summer -- ick) you can soak it in some water and a bit of liquid fabric softener (scented). It really does help. :)

carollovesyarn 08-03-2006 04:32 AM

You can also make washcloths out of linen or hemp - just about any plant material as they are absorbant. Linen and hemp will soften up after washing and drying too, and they are rot-resistant.

Acrylic holding water is probably as result of the fibers trapping the water, rather than the fibers absorbing the water.

Old Knitter 08-03-2006 08:47 AM

Good tip about hemp......I hadn't thought about that.

:D

Ingrid 08-03-2006 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AidanM
Quote:

I dunno. Have you ever soaked something acrylic? Talk about taking forever to dry out...

I think Carol got what I meant. When you pick up a wet piece of acrylic the water pours out. It's as if the water is in there but it's not really wet. :??

AidanM 08-03-2006 01:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AidanM
Quote:

I think Carol got what I meant. When you pick up a wet piece of acrylic the water pours out. It's as if the water is in there but it's not really wet. :??

...It's just so freakin' bizarre to think about a fiber doing that. :shock: It's like an alien fiber or something. *shudders*