KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bernat Softee Chunky (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46239)

Maggie3175 09-30-2006 11:00 PM

Bernat Softee Chunky

Before I broke my shoulder, I knitted for my mom (who is in a nursing home), an afghan out of bernat softee chunky...I've heard it is softer after it is washed...ladies, what I want to hear is that it washes beautifully, because I have multiple sclerosis and my brother does her laundry (ouch)...Do you all understand? I can't take care of her and it's killing me that I can't...all I can do for her is knit when my shoulder heals, which is coming along nicely...but PLEASE someone who's knitted with softee chunky, please let me know how it washes!!!!!

hugs and blessings

xxx

Jenelle 09-30-2006 11:05 PM

I love how it washes. It's a lot softer. I made a capelet with it, washed it, and it came out so nice.

Your afghan should be fine! :hug:

rebecca 09-30-2006 11:15 PM

How sweet of you to knit for your mom! Mom's are a special blessing. I do hope that your shoulder is healing well.

fluffypechey 10-01-2006 04:13 AM

I havnt knitted with this wool. I just wanted to wish you well and hope your shoulder soon heals.

:hug: Sharon

aineepooh1 10-01-2006 01:35 PM

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you for what you are going through right now!! I am sorry that it is so hard for you!!BUT even if you can't physcially take care of her you can be there for her emotionally... and being there, spending time with her, knitting for her and making sure that she knows you will be there is alot :heart: :heart: Hang in there!!!

softee yarn...I don't Know I just bought it but the package says machine washable, and dryable.. so unless your brother puts the afgan in the dryer for over an hour and bakes it like an oven it should be ok!!

:heart: :heart: I am working on a project with it right now and when I wash it if you like I will let you know!!!

10-01-2006 05:49 PM

Hi there,

I just finished my mom's afghan with this stuff and I want to wash it now but when I read the instructions it says to only wash it for 2 minutes?? :??

Am I reading that right? It says the washing instructions are on the inside with the pattern and that's where I'm looking... :shrug:

Maggie3175 10-01-2006 09:31 PM

Bernat Softee Chunky

Yes, I'm afraid it does say that...I hadn't read that before but I've heard over and over again that it's even softer after it is washed. I'm washing my afghans before I put on the fringe. Please let me know how yours turns out when washed....

:shrug: xxx

10-01-2006 10:34 PM

I'm too scared to wash it now! I have one of those darn front loading washers so once it's locked I'm kinda screwed...unless I turn the dial to rinse/spin early during the cycle. :?? hmmm, I wonder if I can do that.

I wonder if I should wash it on the gentle cycle too. :thinking: Boy I'm full of questions tonight aren't I?

It's not going to shrink, right? It's acrylic.

Jenelle, any advice? How long did you wash it for??

jdee 10-01-2006 11:02 PM

Maybe you can use the delicate cycle. I'm not sure how long it washes, but it should be easier on it than a normal wash.

10-02-2006 03:19 PM

Okay, I washed it this morning and all is well. :cheering: I only washed it for a few minutes and then let the rinse and spin cycle do their thing and it's just fine.

Just wanted to let you know :D