KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Um, Is this normal? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46728)

mwedzi 10-12-2006 01:34 PM

Um, Is this normal?

Okay, so I know I'm new both to sock knitting and to self patterning yarns, but I somehow don't think this is supposed to happen. So there I was, happily knitting along on a pair of socks for a friend. I loved the colorway, so masculine. The stripe color order (interspersed with brown and white parts) was black, then dark gray, then light gray, then brown, as you can see here (clickable pic):

Well, I came upon a knot and decided to cut it out, but saw that further down the line there were more knots. 3 in a row, 1 right after the other. And lest you think I'm exaggerating, see for yourself here:

This knotted area also introduced a small bit of orange, a color that, as you saw, had not appeared so far. Okay, fine, I thought, I'll just cut out all 4 knots. And I did. Only to find that the stripe color order was now reversed! Now the yarn was coming off the ball in brown, then light gray, then dark gray, and then black! Am I not understanding something here? Is this supposed to be happening? Is this some common feature of self-striping yarns? What?

If it is common, I don't like it. So I wound some yarn off the main ball into a smaller ball, cut it, and started working in reverse so the stripe color order could stay the same.

brownishcoat 10-12-2006 01:36 PM

It looks to me like they joined the color in the wrong direction and your solution is the only way to fix that. I'd be sure to send some feedback to the company that produces that yarn.

mwedzi 10-12-2006 01:38 PM

Oh, I forgot to say, this is Online Sierra Color yarn. Such a shame, cuz I love that they have so many masculine colorways. I guess I'll send them some mail.

fluffypechey 10-12-2006 01:41 PM

Nikki the sock looks great. Shame about the knots I had some recently that was the same. Luckily it was a straight one colour so it didnt matter, just annoying.
I would definately write to the company.

:hug: Sharon

brownishcoat 10-12-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwedzi
Oh, I forgot to say, this is Online Sierra Color yarn. Such a shame, cuz I love that they have so many masculine colorways. I guess I'll send them some mail.

It could be a one-time glitch, or maybe they need to update their Quality Control procedures. I wouldn't write them off until hearing their response.

ann in ma 10-12-2006 02:42 PM

That happened to me with Noro Kureyon on my very first scarf! I was so mad ... I ended up rewinding the ball "backwards" but even then, it wasn't right, so I had to cut the ball apart and make my own stripes. Ugh.

Definitely write to the company.

mwedzi 10-12-2006 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann in ma
That happened to me with Noro Kureyon on my very first scarf! I was so mad ... I ended up rewinding the ball "backwards" but even then, it wasn't right, so I had to cut the ball apart and make my own stripes. Ugh.

Definitely write to the company.

wow, that does not sound like a fun way to start your way into the knitting world! i've heard that about noro, though. all the same, i want to try some some day.

Ingrid 10-12-2006 06:00 PM

That shouldn't happen, but I'm afraid it does. I had several balls of Karaoke that had smaller balls stuffed in the middle of the larger skein. I suspect it was to bring the weight up to what the label said, but the colors didn't match up with the end of the yarn on the skein, either. At that price, I wasn't pleased, even though the yarn itself is so beautiful.

mwedzi 10-12-2006 06:23 PM

Okay, so Noro, Karaoke, this self-striping sock yarn. Am I to take it then that this is mostly a problem with self-striping yarns? I've never run into this many knots in another ball before, and this is my first self-striping experience. :??

Ingrid 10-12-2006 06:25 PM

I've had knots in other yarns, too. It just doesn't present as much of a problem with single color yarn. You do what you need to do with the knot and move on. Knots that I've found in self striping yarn, though, don't seem to follow the colorway.