KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Knitters Knear You (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   North Carolina Knitters (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47620)

Shandeh 10-30-2006 04:19 AM

North Carolina Knitters

Since I'm a native Carolinian, and I still live here, I guess I'm as good as anybody to start a thread for North Carolina knitters.

I was born in Charlotte, and have lived in the vicinity my whole life. I would love to get to know other knitters in the area.

lizzitude 10-30-2006 07:38 AM

I grew up in SC, but have lived in NC for over 25 years now. I live in Clemmons, just outside of Winston Salem, and have been knitting for just about a year now. I've become badly addicted!

tmsl 10-30-2006 12:32 PM

I live in Hickory, but am originally from Virginia. I have traveled all over the state to many different yarn stores. My current favorite is Knit Picky in Winston-Salem. Lizzitude-have you been to this one yet? The owner is very nice and has a great selection of yarns.

Would love to have a knit-together and meet some of you!!!

:waving:

Laura

lizzitude 10-31-2006 08:07 AM

Yes, I love Knit Picky.....it is a really friendly store, and that's where I head first. Let me know if you come to shop - maybe we could meet up there!

hedgehog 10-31-2006 09:52 AM

I didn't grow up in NC - i'm a Mid-Westerner. But I've lived on and off in NC for the past 14 years now, with a 5.5 year chunk in the middle spent living in England while working on my PhD. But i always came back to NC when coming home to the US as my entire family has moved here. Before England, i lived in Greenville for years and now I'm in Greensboro, but also spend a quite a fair amount of time in Wilmington as well.

It's funny, i don't really know any knitters because i'm self-taught. So i spend most of my time "talking" to other knitters here, not in the flesh. I haven't been to Knit Picky - i guess i should check it out!!

:waving:
-hh

knitaholic 10-31-2006 07:54 PM

Don't forget me--I live in Gastonia, N.C--born & raised here.

Knitaholic :waving:

Shandeh 10-31-2006 09:41 PM

Woo Hoo! Lots and lots of NC Knitters! :happydance:

I love it! :cheering:

CreativeCreature 11-03-2006 12:34 PM

From Wilmington

I am a new North Carolinian. We moved to Wilmington almost a year ago now. I LOVE it here and wish we had moved here 10 years ago!!

I am a new knitter, still learning the ropes but I LOVE it already and I'm anxious to learn more and move on to more 'interesting' (read: difficult) projects. Knitting scarfs is useful for learning but it feels tedious to me. I'll have to knit a bunch to give to family and friends out of state because I don't really need a scarf anymore. LOL

I've found a great yarn store here in Wilmington and I'm very excited to start buying quality yarns (as opposed to yarn from Wal*Mart!), I look forward to building my new stash up. Although I'm sure my husband isn't going to be thrilled with the idea of me spending more money on yet ANOTHER craft. :teehee:

Looking forward to getting to know y'all. :waving:

Louine 11-03-2006 03:16 PM

Travel down highway 17 to Ocean ISle Beach

Hi, I am in NC----but almost to the SC line (7 1/2 miles away)....I live in Ocean Ridge Plantation a neighborhood just off of highway 17 and south of Shallotte, NC.

I have to go to Wilmington, NC or the old Cherry Grove section of North Myrtle, SC beach to find a yarn store.....the one near the swing bridge going to Cherry Grove Beach is great. I am a school teacher with limited time so I buy yarn on line most often....however, I am retiring at the end of this year and look forward to knitting even more.

tmsl 11-03-2006 04:18 PM

For you eastern NC knitters, I have been to Angel Wings in Southport, Island Knits in Pawley's Island and the one in N. Myrtle Beach that I can never remember the name of. It helps that the person who got me started lives in N. Myrtle and she has taken me yarn shopping. :teehee:

I told you guys I have been to a lot of yarn stores in NC, not all but a lot. Still more to conquer!!!

Laura