KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   $100 for sweater yarn...should I??? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48233)

ScandaKnitvian 11-09-2006 03:56 PM

$100 for sweater yarn...should I???

OK...I'm looking for a worsted yarn for a hoodie for my teenaged dd. I want something soft, washable, and NICE...so I've narrowed it to superwash merinos. I found a line that has the colors I want, but the yarn is going to cost me like $100. (gulp) My dd takes good care of her things...I know she would appreciate it and care for it, but I've never spent this kind of money on a knitting project (I just learned in the summer of '05). There are other nice yarns I could get for somewaht less $, but they're either not washable or don't offer the colors I want.

What should I do??? We have the money...in fact, I have a gallon jug of coins that has waaay more than $100...we won't be going without food or skip paying the electric bill just so I can buy yarn...

Should I do it???

Patty

Andrea 11-09-2006 03:58 PM

I say yes!!!
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

CarmenIbanez 11-09-2006 04:00 PM

You certainly don't have to answer to us. I think you should spend exactly as much as you'd like. I don't think it is out of the realm of sanity to pay $100 for enough yarn to make a sweater. I will ask this: how old is your daughter. Is this a sweater that she'll wear for years, or months?

ScandaKnitvian 11-09-2006 04:05 PM

My dd is 15 and hasn't grown much at all in the past two years. It should fit her for a very long time.

Patty

Debbie 11-09-2006 04:09 PM

It is SO MUCH FUN to knit with the EXACT yarn you want. It is much easier to finish a big project like a sweater when you enjoy every stitch.
I say YES!

janelanespaintbrush 11-09-2006 04:14 PM

I don't know how much research you've done, but have you checked out all your options? You mentioned that you wanted a worsted weight superwash merino... what color did you have in mind? And what is the name of the yarn you're considering? The reason I ask is because I know that they are lots of folks here at KH who would be able to give great suggestions for other yarns that would be good candidates for your sweater, or tell you where to shop to get the best price on the yarn you're considering now.

Amber 11-09-2006 04:33 PM

I think handknits are special things -- a labor of love, really. I'd be more likely to flinch at the idea of spending $100 on a store-bought sweater, than on spending that amount of money on yarn to make one -- especially if it was going to someone who would appreciate and enjoy it!

knitknitknit 11-09-2006 04:37 PM

I say go for it!

Ingrid 11-09-2006 05:06 PM

You'd spend that much on a nice dinner out with the family. Buy the yarn you want and enjoy making the sweater. You and your daughter deserve it!

moon 11-09-2006 05:06 PM

How much is your typical sweater at Express? Like $50.00, right? And it will last 2 winters if you're lucky.

I say go for it. If you know she'll wear it frequently $100.00 for a sweater that will last is fine.