KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What material needles do you like best? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48634)

Mom2Rebecca 11-16-2006 02:02 PM

What material needles do you like best?

I have only used plastic and metal and prefer metal but would like to try bamboo. What does everyone prefer?
Jessica

MrTea 11-16-2006 02:12 PM

I like metal circs for straight knitting and bamboo for DPNs.

The bamboo will probably be a little stickier than what you are used to.

gardenmommy 11-16-2006 02:15 PM

It's hard to say because everybody has their personal preference, and a lot of people vary the type of needle they use with the type of yarn they are using. I think usually metal is the slickest of them all, which makes for fast knitting but also can increase your chances for dropped stitches or stitches sliding off when you set down your project. Even among metal there are variations of slickness, like aluminum versus plated brass like the Knitpicks Options or Addi Turbos.

Bamboo is less slick that metal, so if you are working with a tricky, slick yarn, that can help. A lot of people prefer bamboo DPNs for socks for this reason, the needle won't go flying out of the stitches like metal ones have the potential to do. Even among brands of needles of the same material there can be a difference, such as Clover bamboo versus Crystal Palace bamboo.

Birch or other wood ones are another possibility. Or the resin like the Denise set. Not quite plastic, I think smoother, but I haven't used them personally, so I can't vouch for them.

The pointiness of the tips is another factor too, some yarns work better with tips that are a bit more blunt, some work better with sharper points. The Options are especially known for their pointy tips.

If stores were smart, they would let you "try before you buy," so you can determine which needle feels the best for the yarn you will use. You're not expected to purchase a car without taking it for a spin first! LOL

dustinac 11-16-2006 02:15 PM

I use my Denise's all the time which are a resin... and for DPNs I prefer Bamboo esp. for socks but have the metal ones for the larger size DPNs and they work ok...

I keep bending my bamboos... my 1s,2s, and 3s all have a bend in them now... :shrug: :teehee:

Jan in CA 11-16-2006 02:16 PM

I have a set of Denise Interchangeables which are made of resin and bamboo DPNs. I also have a few Addi Turbos. I like my Denise needles a lot, but the yarn doesn't slide as smoothly as I'd like so I'm pining for a set of Knitpicks Options! I love bamboo for DPNs as the yarn doesn't fall off the needles.

All this being said sometimes it depends on the yarn or stitch type and personal preference. You're going to get a dozen or more different answers if you ask 12 people. :teehee:

MrTea 11-16-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dustinac
I keep bending my bamboos... my 1s,2s, and 3s all have a bend in them now... :shrug: :teehee:

I've had this problem with the small gauge bamboo needles as well. Although, i'm not sure it's me that's doing it. I think it has more to do with humidity/atmospheric pressure changes.

brendajos 11-16-2006 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTea
Quote:

I've had this problem with the small gauge bamboo needles as well. Although, i'm not sure it's me that's doing it. I think it has more to do with humidity/atmospheric pressure changes.

bah...i think it is because she holds on to them so tight that it is surprising they don't snap! :teehee:

dustinac 11-16-2006 02:36 PM

:whistle: I have no idea what you are talking about...

:flirt: I agree with Mr.Tea

MrTea 11-16-2006 02:44 PM

Quote:

:whistle: I have no idea what you are talking about...

:flirt: I agree with Mr.Tea

Cute

CarmenIbanez 11-16-2006 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTea
I like metal circs for straight knitting and bamboo for DPNs.

The bamboo will probably be a little stickier than what you are used to.

Yes that is exactly why I like the bamboo. Because I am DPNs challenged and the bamboo helps me keep my stitches, you know, actually on the needles!