KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Please Explain the Fisherman's Rib to Me More Clearly! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48891)

Evelynne 11-20-2006 11:30 PM

Please Explain the Fisherman's Rib to Me More Clearly!

This is what I have:

Book #1
r1: p
r2: *p1, k next st in the row below, rep from * and ending with p2
Repeat r2 only.

Book #2
r1: (wrong side) k to end
r2: sl1, *k1b, p1, repeat from * to end
r3: sl1, *p1, k1b. Rep frpm * to last 2sts the p1, k1

What step in these 2 different instructions am I not "seeing"? If I "k1b" or "k next st in the row below," does this not drop a stitch? Or is that the idea? I have played around with this, but for some reason, this is not a stitch pattern that I am grasping from a book. Grrrrr!

Thank you for any clarity you can provide! :shrug:

Evelynne

Ingrid 11-20-2006 11:37 PM

Maybe this will help.

suzeeq 11-21-2006 02:36 AM

I do it even easier by knitting all stitches on the first row, then repeating this row - K1, k1b, k1, k1b all the way across, ending k1. No purling!

Oh, and to answer your question, it doesn't drop a stitch, it puts the extra stitch on top of the one in the row below.

sue

Evelynne 11-21-2006 04:58 PM

Thank you, Ingrid!

I was hoping someone would know of a link that explained it to me pictorially. I also learned today that Book 1 is a Fisherman's Rib, but that Book 2 is a TWISTED Fisherman's Rib, hence the different but similar instructions. No wonder I was :??

Thank you !!

Evelynne

Evelynne 11-21-2006 05:01 PM

suzeeq!

Thank you for writing the instructions out in a much easier to follow manner! And I am going to try knitting a swatch later this evening try it out. I will let you know if it finally works for me - I do like the look of this stitch very much.

Thanks again!

Evelynne

suzeeq 11-21-2006 05:21 PM

I think you can also find my version called Shaker Stitch or Rib and Half Fisherman's Rib. There's a picture or two of it around the interweb.

sue

Evelynne 11-23-2006 01:38 PM

Ingrid:

Just wanted to get back to you to let you know that the link you posted for me did the trick. I practiced and it worked. I also liked the fact that the link suggested using smaller needles - I tried a size smaller and then my F.Rib looked more like the photo of it.

Does anyone know what this stitch is commonly used for? I can see knitting a scarf with it, but would one knit a sweater with it? I liked the photo when I saw it, hence why I wanted to learn it, but I have never seen it before.

Thank you!

Evelynne

Evelynne 11-23-2006 01:57 PM

Suseeq,

I tried your suggestion as well which was much easier using k rather than p. Both stitch patterns have a lovely web-like patterning to them, and I like the reversibility (which is why I was thinking of using it for scarves). I Googled it and sure enough, it is referred to as the Half F. Rib.

Thank you for teaching me something new!

Evelynne

suzeeq 11-23-2006 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evelynne
Does anyone know what this stitch is commonly used for? I can see knitting a scarf with it, but would one knit a sweater with it? I liked the photo when I saw it, hence why I wanted to learn it, but I have never seen it before.

Thank you!

Evelynne

You could knit a sweater with it on smallish needles, I think. I did a ponchp/wrap in it just for around the house. Keeps my upper arms and back warm when we have the heat turned down.

And yes, it's much more reversible than the Brioche st, which it resembles, and the other types of Fisherman's rib.

sue

Evelynne 11-23-2006 05:45 PM

Thank you, Sue. :)

Evelynne