KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49194)

cookworm 11-27-2006 12:45 PM

OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well

Help! My brother-in-law is dating a woman and since we live out of town, we just got to meet her recently. We don't know her at all, really, and with Christmas coming, we need to try to figure out a gift for her. I would like to buy her something nice but not spend a ton of money because (not to sound cheap or mean) I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

Any suggestions for a nice meaningful gift that isn't too expensive? Also, she's 28. What do 28 year olds like these days? :shrug:

janelanespaintbrush 11-27-2006 12:48 PM

You could make her a little ipod cozy.

Stiney 11-27-2006 12:50 PM

Lotion or candles, or if you want something a bit nicer, a gift basket from a lotion or candle store. Lotion can be iffy if she's allergic to scents (I always get all my mom's lotion. :happydance: )

Or a pretty scarf that's mainstream--from a common store, so that she can return it on the sly if she doesn't like it. (Same with the lotions and candles.) And gift receipts are always good for people you don't know that well. I wouldn't knit a scarf because if she doesn't like it, she's stuck with it, and you spent all that time on something she doesn't like.

Good luck!

jberry16 11-27-2006 01:08 PM

I'm 23 and would vote for candles or lotions or , oo you could get her a gift card to a local spa? Most places will give you a gift receipt, esp if you ask for it.
Maybe a nice house plant or a picture frame she could put his pic in for work or whatever.

jodstr2 11-27-2006 01:45 PM

I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards. :heart:

Stiney 11-27-2006 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jodstr2
I vote for a gift card. I love gift cards. :heart:

Me, too, but then you have the whole, "Where does she like to shop?" thing, unless you go for something really useful (but then less "nice.")

jodstr2 11-27-2006 01:53 PM

true. I was just thinking the same thing. maybe cookworm can ask her brother-in-law where she likes to shop? :shrug:

CarmenIbanez 11-27-2006 02:04 PM

Re: OT - Christmas gift for someone you don't know very well

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookworm
I'm not sure how serious this relationship is.

I think you ought to buy her a few books. "Planning the perfect wedding in 10 days or less" and "Raising perfect children". Then you'd find out how serious the relationship is.....

:teehee:

nonny2t 11-27-2006 02:08 PM

I would go with a Visa gift card. She can spend that pretty much anywhere and buy what she wants. I was going to agree with the others and say candles also, but if she is like my dd, who has allergies, scents of any kind start her sneezing. You can get the gift cards usually at your center court of your mall or almost all banks handle them. Check with your own bank, you may be able to get one for free. My bank charges $2 for up to $500 I think it is. She will love being able to pick out exactly what she wants, or add it to what she is saving for. It is the only thing my dh ever wants for Christmas.

janelanespaintbrush 11-27-2006 02:15 PM

The gift card idea seems to be very popular. She said she didn't want to spend much, though, which makes me wonder whether it would be worthwhile if the amount is small. I'm still going to lobby for the ipod cozy idea (doesn't necessarily have to be used that way) because it'd cost next to nothing if she used stash or leftover yarn -- and the time it would take her to knit it would probably be less than driving to the store to buy something. Plus, it's personal and hand-made. JMO.