KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   favorite place and kind of sock yarn to buy (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49378)

jberry16 11-30-2006 08:00 PM

favorite place and kind of sock yarn to buy

Just wondering if you like getting your sock yarn locally or if there is a fav. web site you like to buy from.

janelanespaintbrush 11-30-2006 08:09 PM

I don't know what to choose. I have used 0 and 1 for fingering and 4 for worsted weight. (I really like the thicker socks -- they knit up so fast!)

Don't have a favorite yarn yet.

psammeadred 11-30-2006 08:10 PM

So far, I've only used Bernat Sox (probably won't use again), Lion Brand Magic Stripes, and WoolEase Sportweight for socks. I bought all these at Hobby Lobby, but unfortunately, WoolEase Sportweight is discontinued, and Hobby Lobby doesn't carry Magic Stripes or Sox any more.

ebrperk 11-30-2006 10:48 PM

I get my sock yarn online most of the time. I like the KnitPicks Memories that I am knitting with right now. I also like Plymouth Sockotta (it is machine washable!!!!!).

One of the best sites with the best customer service is the Loopy Ewe. I have a link on my blog if you would like to check her out. [/url]

janelanespaintbrush 12-01-2006 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebrperk
I also like Plymouth Sockotta (it is machine washable!!!!!).

I read somewhere (a blog maybe?) that it's unpleasant to work with because it's not very stretchy. Would you disagree with that assessment? I've been wanting to try it, but I don't usually like cotton because I need my yarn to be springy. I was hoping the wool and nylon content would help.

mulene 12-01-2006 08:44 AM

I like Regia sock yarn. I've made 3 pairs with it and one pair with Lorna's laces.

mwedzi 12-01-2006 09:36 AM

I made my first practice sock with Knitpicks Shine on size 4s (bought online from Knitpicks), a pair with Lorna's Laces sport on size 3s (bought oat brick and mortar), a pair of socks with Online Sierra on 2s (bought at brick and mortar) and now I'm working on pair 3 and 4, one with Claudia Handpainted Yarn on size 2s (bought online at www.loopyewe.com) and one with Meilenweit Softcolor on size 1s (online at www.astridsdutchobsessions.com).

I'm scared that my needles keep getting smaller. I really want to stop at size 1. The fabric looks so much better than on size 2s.

Stonington 12-01-2006 09:44 AM

Re: favorite place and kind of sock yarn to buy

Quote:

Originally Posted by jberry16
Just wondering if you like getting your sock yarn locally or if there is a fav. web site you like to buy from.

Could I also ask what kind of needles you all prefer?
Thanks so much! :hug:
anne
n sebago me

psammeadred 12-01-2006 10:11 AM

I've used metal and bamboo DPN's. They're both fairly easy to use, but I need to run some waxed paper over my bamboo DPN's, because they're getting a bit scratchy. The metal tend to be a bit too slippery, though.

janelanespaintbrush 12-01-2006 10:15 AM

I've only used KP circs, and haven't tried anything else because they're working out so well. They really are perfect for magic loop.