KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   magic loop and using 2 circ (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49705)

candy 12-06-2006 05:53 PM

magic loop and using 2 circ

I just watched Amy's video on knitting in the round using magic loop and 2 circ. It looks like more work than using dpn so what is the benifit of using this technique? Is the ribbing more even? I have to make sleeves yet and I was going to do it in the round but I was going to use dpn but if 2 circs are better I will try it. When I use dpn I just knit the first 3sts tight and I don't get a ladder.

brendajos 12-06-2006 06:02 PM

it is all personal preference really. i can use DPNs i just prefer not to. i carry my work with me all the time and i have fears of pulling my work out of the bag and finding the DPNs at the bottom of the bag. I don't have that issue with 2 circs. I also find i don't have such trouble knitting that join tight like i do with DPNs.

jberry16 12-06-2006 06:37 PM

I've just learned (still learning) the magic loop and I can see how easy it would be to take it with me everywhere. I like better than dpn.

losnana 12-06-2006 08:38 PM

I MUCH prefer it to DPN's, but then i hate DPN's. I always get ladders with DPNs and never do with the magic loop method. I haven't tried 2 cirs yet, and don't know tht I will unless I find something that I can't do with magic loop. I think it's just a matter of preference. there are several other members who love DPNs.

Renoah 12-07-2006 03:54 PM

Much easier to lose one dpn of four or five than one big long circ that has your sock on it. :)

knitqueen 12-07-2006 03:58 PM

If dpns work for you and you don't get ladders, then there's no reason to switch unless you want to try something new! I switched to magic loop because I couldn't get my knitting on dpns to look nice and I had HUGE problems with ladders that nothing seemed to fix.

brownishcoat 12-07-2006 04:22 PM

I tried 2 circs first because I had an interchangeable set that contained everything I needed. I tried Magic Loop next.

I recently tried DPNs for the first time (for something other than I-cord) and I didn't get ladders with those either.

Magic Loop is my favorite method because there are only 2 needles, there is never any confusion of where I left off on my row, and I knit faster because I'm using the same set of needles all the time (no switching); also, there is much less tangling, and I got ladders with 2 circs (but none with ML). I also knit 2 socks at once using ML, so my socks are always identical and I don't have SSS. 2-at-once is very difficult on DPNs.

candy 12-07-2006 04:26 PM

magic loop

I might just try magic loop because I am always interested in learning new things. When she says to use a 24in does that mean from tip to tip or the flex plastic? Do you only pull the first stitch tight or more?

brownishcoat 12-07-2006 04:29 PM

I would recommend using longer than a 24", and the measurement is tip-to-tip. Some people have used a 32" successfully and I love my 40" - it's perfect for 2 socks.

losnana 12-07-2006 06:22 PM

I like 40" for magic loop too. I think at least 32" . See Amy's video on it.