KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   "Break" yarn? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50332)

cookworm 12-20-2006 11:12 PM

"Break" yarn?

This probably isn't a really technical question, but can anybody tell me why all the patterns I read specifically say to break the yarn when you're at a point to be finished with the product and weave in ends (as opposed to cutting the yarn)? Does breaking the yarn make a difference somehow to cutting it? :shrug:

Also, I lost ANOTHER knitting needle somewhere in the house, and I'm LIVID!!!!!!! :grrr: This is the second needle I lost (the first one was a straight--the first pair of knitting needles I bought for myself--and the second is a set of circulars; both are bamboo...is there a pattern here???) Does anybody else lose needles, or is it just me? :verysad: I'm so bummed--I needed that circular to finish my hat, and now I can't! :verysad: I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck.

knitqueen 12-20-2006 11:37 PM

Sorry about the lost knitting needle. :pout:

As far as I know, "break yarn" and "cut yarn" are one and the same.

madametj 12-21-2006 12:19 AM

Re: "Break" yarn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookworm
This probably isn't a really technical question, but can anybody tell me why all the patterns I read specifically say to break the yarn when you're at a point to be finished with the product and weave in ends (as opposed to cutting the yarn)? Does breaking the yarn make a difference somehow to cutting it? :shrug:

Also, I lost ANOTHER knitting needle somewhere in the house, and I'm LIVID!!!!!!! :grrr: This is the second needle I lost (the first one was a straight--the first pair of knitting needles I bought for myself--and the second is a set of circulars; both are bamboo...is there a pattern here???) Does anybody else lose needles, or is it just me? :verysad: I'm so bummed--I needed that circular to finish my hat, and now I can't! :verysad: I feel like I'm losing my mind! I've looked everywhere I can think of, but no luck.

i've lost needles several times, but always seem to find them. one time in particular i can remember, the needle was missing for weeks, and i discovered a hole in the couch under the cushion. reaching my hand deep into the hole, i found the needle among the springs

suzeeq 12-21-2006 01:27 AM

Re: "Break" yarn?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookworm

No, there's no difference. Maybe it goes back to the days when scissors weren't handy. Or it's just an old fashioned term -like break off, `Meaning: Break a piece from something', `come to an end' or "become separated into pieces or fragments"

sue

JudyD 12-21-2006 06:12 AM

I'm old enough ( :eyebrow: ) to remember when knitters would grasp the yarn in each hand, pull hard in opposite directions, and break the yarn.

JudyD