KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Putting stiches back on the needle (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50809)

hollie 12-31-2006 11:51 AM

Putting stiches back on the needle

Hi all...I have a question about putting stiches back on the needle. I know that the leading strand must be in front on a knit stich but is this true for all stiches? Thanks, Hollie

Ingrid 12-31-2006 12:04 PM

When I put stitches back on a needle, I just get them on there, without regard to their direction. Then, once I know they're secure, I untwist them as necessary. I'm not sure what you mean my lead strand, however.

hollie 12-31-2006 12:10 PM

Hi Ingrid, How do you know if they are twisted? What I mean by leading strand (I took this term from the video offered on this site) is the strand that connects the left side to the right side, so that is the unworked side to the worked side. I know it is supposed to be in front for a knit stich but I don't know if it is the same for a purl.

Ingrid 12-31-2006 12:45 PM

The best way I've seen stitches described is to imagine the loop on the needle as a horseback rider facing the point of the left needle. His right leg should be slightly forward for both knit and purl.

hollie 12-31-2006 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid
The best way I've seen stitches described is to imagine the loop on the needle as a horseback rider facing the point of the left needle. His right leg should be slightly forward for both knit and purl.

Ahhh, Interesting. I'll give that a try. Sounds good! Thanks!

Yarnlady 01-01-2007 10:12 AM

Re: Putting stiches back on the needle

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollie
How do you know if they are twisted?

If it's hard to knit. If it fights back when you put the right needle into it, it's probably twisted.

ecb 01-01-2007 06:49 PM

:muah: Yarnlady
you are SO RIGHT
that is the best descrition I have ever seen/heard

Thanks

hollie 01-01-2007 11:02 PM

So what happens if a stich IS twisted? Does it just look wrong or is there a more serious consequence?

Ingrid 01-01-2007 11:05 PM

It just looks a bit different than the rest. If an entire row is twisted, it's hard to work the next row.

of troy 01-02-2007 10:49 AM

re: The best way I've seen stitches described is to imagine the loop on the needle as a horseback rider facing the point of the left needle. His right leg should be slightly forward for both knit and purl.

a GENERALLY true statement.

but in different styles of knitting this is not always true.

(see anne modesitt's blog for a tutorial on combo knitting)
in combo knitting, stitches that were purled in previous row, are turned.

that is for most knitting stitch are like this:
/////////////

but its normal in combo knitting (when working stocking knit) to have:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
and if working ribbing, (2 X2)
\\//\\//\\//\\

combo knitters are about 10% (or more) of knitters in US.

world wide, they are about 50% of knitters!