KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   knitpicks options & magic loop question (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50824)

itsjustmeghan 12-31-2006 03:52 PM

knitpicks options & magic loop question

how do you go about knitting socks with knitpicks options doing the magic loop when their needle size only goes down to size 4?

just curious...

i have a set of denise needles i got last year and i rarely use them. i guess they're all right. i've just discovered knitpicks, and it seems lots of people like the knitting options set better saying they can use it for the magic loop method. i guess i want to know all the knitty gritty before i decide if i'm going to sell the denise set and buy the options set.

just to give you an idea,
i have a full set of wood brittney needles i use for straight knitting. and i'm learning the magic loop method right now, so far using a susan bates set i picked up cheap at joann fabrics.
i plan on knitting sweaters more now that ive discovered knitpicks, socks, scarves, etc.

any feedback would be great!

janelanespaintbrush 12-31-2006 04:30 PM

Check out their Classic circs. (You can get there from the Options page -- look for the purple box near the bottom.) They're not interchangeable, but the 32" ones work well for two socks (or one sock) at a time on magic loop. :thumbsup:

losnana 12-31-2006 07:11 PM

Is the join as smooth as on the interchangeables?

janelanespaintbrush 12-31-2006 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by losnana
Is the join as smooth as on the interchangeables?

Yes. They're pretty much the same.

lauraknits 01-01-2007 12:25 PM

Jane, I know you've answered this before but I can't remember, what length of the options do you use for ML? I have 16 inch options in small sizes and don't know if I would like ML or 2 circs better for socks. Would 32 be ok for ML, or do you really need 40 in?

itsjustmeghan 01-01-2007 01:40 PM

i haven't been doing it long (all of 3 days) but i'm managing ML on a pair of socks with a 29 inch cable. i guess it just depends on your level of comfort.
i was worry about the cables pulling at the stitches too much, but so far, it's going okay.
HTH :)

losnana 01-01-2007 01:54 PM

Right now I'm doing toddler socks on a 40 " cable. It is a little unwieldy, but nothing that can't be managed. I think I will get a shorter one for the future, though, but I think you can use whatever you happen to have. It just has to be long enough to make 2 loops.

janelanespaintbrush 01-01-2007 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraknits
Jane, I know you've answered this before but I can't remember, what length of the options do you use for ML? I have 16 inch options in small sizes and don't know if I would like ML or 2 circs better for socks. Would 32 be ok for ML, or do you really need 40 in?

I find the 32" length to be perfect for ML socks (either one or two at a time). Of course, if you don't end up liking ML, you can use the 32" along with your 16" to do the 2-circ method instead.

lauraknits 01-02-2007 04:38 PM

thanks! I just tried ML with size 5 needles 32 in with some scrap worsted and it worked great. I have been using DPN's for socks and small projects and it's ok, but I keep waiting to get less awkward and it hasn't happened. I also tried the sock in a sock thing, and it's cool, but I am not picking it up too fast. I think I'll get some 32in KP circs in smaller sizes and go for it. No more second sock disease!