Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   How long do I make this baby hat? (

heather_dw 01-04-2007 05:15 PM

How long do I make this baby hat?
Hey guys~

I had this pretty baby yarn and it was screaming "hat!" at me. I started knitting a k2 p2 ribbing and then just winged it stockinette the rest of the way. The problem is that now I'm not sure how long I need to make it before I start decreasing and how long total it should be for an average baby's head. I have no babies for reference or even anyone expecting (at least at the moment) but I'm just in a baby knitting mood.

Here's a pic:
It's about 5 inches long from cast on edge at the moment.

brendajos 01-04-2007 05:19 PM

four or five is usually about how many i do before i start decreasing. most of the baby patterns i do usually fluctuate between those two numbers.

psammeadred 01-04-2007 06:53 PM

Longer is probably better than shorter - if it's too long, you can fold up the ribbing for a brim.

heather_dw 01-04-2007 07:05 PM

hmm,.. I should start decreasing on it then. Is the best way for this type of project the k2tog all the way around until it gets to a low number of stitches or is it better for this to do k2tog on each DPN and then do a few rows normal?

Julie 01-04-2007 08:24 PM

My standard hat decrease is the swirly looking one -- say you have 80 sts on the needles, you *K8, K2tog* for one round, then knit one round, then *K7, K2tog* then knit a round, continue in that fashion until you get to *K5, K2tog* then decrease every row until you have *K2tog* all around -- then pull the yarn through any remaining stitches and weave in the end.

heather_dw 01-04-2007 09:28 PM

Hmm,.. my hat has 72 stitches (18 on each DPN). Does that mean I would k16 and k2tog on every needle, decreasing as I go (k15, k2tog next round, etc) ?

five_six 01-04-2007 09:40 PM

i would start with knit 7 k2tog, (as it is divisible by 9, if i have my math correct :?? ), then just work the next row with no decreases, then the next with knit 6 k2tog, next alt row, knit 5 k2 tog... continuing like this.

I think your decrease would result in a rather large crown.

heather_dw 01-05-2007 01:52 PM

I'm a fairly new knitter. I'm one of these people that usually needs a pattern to refer to for EVERYTHING. I'm glad I have you guys to help and correct me..LOL

brendajos 01-05-2007 01:59 PM

eh baby hats become one of those things that are such a quick easy gift that you don't often have to use a pattern for them. not unless you want to do something fancy. i whip out roll brim baby hats whenever i need something to knit and don't have any projects i want to work on (i figure out who gets it

The decrease is easy to figure out if you just figure out what number of stitches you have and find a good number to divide it by (9 was an excellent choice in this case). Then you subtract 2 from that number (for your decrease) and have at it. i love the swirly top it makes when you do that.

and if you want a fancy little touch at the top, when you get to the point where there are 3 or 4 stitches left, instead of threading them through, you could do an icord for about 4 inches, bind it off, and then tie it in a knot....voila...umbilical hat! :cheering:

and since they are babies they will put up with us putting them in whatever ridiculous hat we want to :teehee: