KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Scribble scarf edges? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51165)

landolphe 01-05-2007 10:27 PM

Scribble scarf edges?

I am now making my third Scribble-style scarf(very bulky & very thin yarns. Although it took lotsa practice, I think I have finally succeeded in managing the fine yarns on the large needles. but I am still having major cosmetic problems with the garment edge where I have carried along the thicker yarn.

The first two patterns called for changing from thick to thin yarn every 3rd row and loosely carrying along the yarn. I did that, but my edges where I carried along yarn do not all look alike, and to me they look raggedy and distracting. Neither pattern shows a close-up of the edges, so I have no idea how these should be. :shrug:

The Loopy & Delicious pattern states to slide the work to other end of (circular) needle at the yarn change. Again, I know how to do that, but have no idea how it is supposed to look on the edges.

What is the correct way to "carry along" yarn up an edge? :shrug:

Esthetically challenged,

Landolphe
:wall: :wall:

five_six 01-06-2007 08:13 AM

well, i don't like to use the word 'correct' because people do things lots of different ways, and they work... but, i've been shown to carry it up the side in a similar way to doing intarsia, you scoop the yarn you are carrying up, so it is 'twisted' round the yarn you are knitting, rather than knitting the 2 yarns are the same time in the first stitch (if you get me)...

Having said that, i NEVER carry yarn up the edge of a scarf, I will only do that on pieces that will be seamed in that area. I would prefer to do hours of finishing than stare at that odd coloured bit of yarn working its way up one side of my scarf, but that's just me :shrug:

landolphe 01-06-2007 05:03 PM

I can't quite see wthat you are describing as "scooping" the yarn. I let the dropped yarn just hang down, then four rows later, when I need it, I pick it up again, taking care to keep it loose enough to reach the row, even if the intervening 4 rows are maximally stretched. It does work, but it looks raggedy to me. I have seen no other directions/explanation.

On the ragged edge,

Landolphe

five_six 01-06-2007 07:30 PM

i guess i'm trying to say that you twist the two colours around each other, like you would at the colour change point in intarsia, this will secure the non-used yarn under the yarn you are currently knitting with, holding it down agains your edge more...

Someone more eloquent may have to assist... :shrug:

landolphe 01-06-2007 07:53 PM

You actually twist the two yarns together? I'm carrying the thick yarn up 4 rows of the very thin yarn (very loose & open stitches as it is done on US 17 needles). I would start twisting the two yarns right when I change from the tick to the thin?

Warped and lost somewhere in the weft,

Lando

five_six 01-06-2007 08:39 PM

yeah, give it a try, it might help to hold it closer to the edge, but only twist once... Should work, even though you are using 2 different sized yarns.

You changed your avatar!!

landolphe 01-06-2007 09:07 PM

I did, I did. I switched from Rodrigue to Balla.

I am going to give your tip a try in the enxt 5 minutes.

Lando