KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Interchangeable circular needles conversion questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51425)

cinnybuns 01-10-2007 05:17 PM

Interchangeable circular needles conversion questions

I'm considereing on purchasing a set from knit picks, how does one convert from dpns to circular ones?

Do you place a marker where needle 2 should be at, and so forth?? So i know where i'm making the opening for ie. thumb hole for later on?

nadja la claire 01-10-2007 05:37 PM

I'm not sure I understand the marker part of your question.

As for converting from dpns to circs, you can either use 2 circs or use one with a long cable and do magic loop.

:muah: :hug:

Nadja xxx

LoAnnie 01-10-2007 05:43 PM

I think I know what you're asking. You just have to put a marker at the beginning of the round for most patterns.

LoAnnie

cinnybuns 01-10-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadja la claire

As for converting from dpns to circs, you can either use 2 circs or use one with a long cable and do magic loop.

Nadja xxx

What i'm trying to say for example, making mitten the pattern called for dpn

Traditionally it would list, as place stitch holder on needle #3 for the thumb hole.

How can I tell what stitch is on the circular needle? Do I put stitch markers on to seperate 6 stitches from the next 6 stitches??

nadja la claire 01-10-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinnybuns
Quote:

Originally Posted by nadja la claire

Nadja xxx

What i'm trying to say for example, making mitten the pattern called for dpn

Traditionally it would list, as place stitch holder on needle #3 for the thumb hole.

How can I tell what stitch is on the circular needle? Do I put stitch markers on to seperate 6 stitches from the next 6 stitches??

I'm sorry, it's not you, it's me. :oops: Part of my misunderstanding is that I've never made mittens. I'm sure that greater minds than mine will be able to answer your question.

Nadja xxx

iza 01-10-2007 06:26 PM

If you make mittens, chances are you will need to use 2 circs or magic loop. To do small diameter knitting in the round, you either need dpns, or the 2 circs or magic loop method. Unless you find a circular needle with a very short cable.

The thing with circular needles, you need enough stitches that will go around your needle. So if you have a 16in cable, you'll need to cast on quite a few!

This being said, apart from that, knitting with circular needles is the same as on DPNs. In general yes you do put a stitch marker to make sure you know where the beginning of the round is. And if it makes your life easier to mark the places where, in principle, your stitches would be on a different dpn, go ahead, why not!

cinnybuns 01-10-2007 08:01 PM

Thanks so much ladies :hug: it helps out alot, I guess I have to look into the magic loop meathod =) xxx