KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What's up w/ Lion Brand??? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51677)

Cristy 01-13-2007 08:29 PM

What's up w/ Lion Brand???

Are they trying to change their image??? I suddenly started getting a "catalog" (just got it yesterday) with knitting patterns in it that are for purchase....I noticed they've got 100% wool out now (anyone tried it???) and cotton ease is back?

Think they've noticed there are a lot of fiber enthusiasts out there (re: the cotton ease and wool)? I think I've even noticed a change in the labels on some of the yarns when I'm at Michaels...

I went to Michaels to buy some baby pink 100% wool--thinking I'd try the new lion brand stuff but it doesn't come in that color (at least not at my michaels...only a fushia color)

hunterjenn 01-13-2007 08:46 PM

Yeah, I noticed the new labels on 100% wool at my Michael's, too...weird!

cookworm 01-14-2007 10:07 AM

I think they're trying to change their image to give themselves more of an "upscale" look, in their catalogs, on their skein labels, and on their website. If you go to their website, you'll also see that they have hand-painted yarns at OUTRAGEOUS prices. :noway:

I haven't used their 100% wool because Paton's Classic Merino is 100% merino wool (which is very wearable to me; not all wool is for me), it's cheaper per skein than the Lion Wool, and you get more yardage per skein.

of troy 01-14-2007 02:45 PM

things might change again..

Nancy Thomas (former editor of Vogue) was at Lion Brand (these past 5 years or so.. and developing a new line of yarn, and patterns takes a few years) has left.. i think alot of these yarns are her influence..

now that she is gone...there will be new influences.. they may be good or bad, (depending on what you like!)

CarmenIbanez 01-14-2007 04:58 PM

I have noticed that they've brought out some nice yarns. But the newer, nicer fiber yarns have also resulted in them raising their prices on there old, still cheap fiber products as well.

I am excited about cotton ease being back, though!

jodstr2 01-14-2007 05:01 PM

yeah, the print catalog is a LOT nicer than like 3 years ago.

I haven't been to Michaels in a while tho. I should go check out the Lion stuff.

suzeeq 01-14-2007 05:04 PM

On a related note.... Family Dollar has Lion Boucle for $1. Along with Paton's VooDoo and some other stuff...

sue

CarmenIbanez 01-14-2007 05:09 PM

I'm pretty sure I have enough "VOODOO" yarn as it is! :roflhard:

Stiney 01-14-2007 05:54 PM

I was just at the Lion's Brand website, and they have organic cotton yarn.

Yvonne 01-15-2007 05:35 PM

Our local Dollar General has the Lion Boucle for $1.00 too. I got each of my daughters some for stocking stuffers for Christmas, and each of the skeins was defective. They were knitting along and all of a sudden the yarn was broken, several times in each skein. Probably why they wound up at Dollar General. Sort of like skeins with knots, but the opposite. :rofl: