KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   After all that bragging.. look what I did (DOH!) (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52137)

sewinhotmama23 01-21-2007 02:37 AM

After all that bragging.. look what I did (DOH!)

Ok, so I thought all was going well.. I had my tally marks all set up and have been deligently working all weel little by little, and today Ive been kiddo free and have made MAJOR progress on my sweater... so I thought!

This is the part Im working on..
DEC 1 st before each marker on next row and every 8 (8, 8, 8, 9) rows 6 times to 102 (108, 114, 120, 126) sts

Well I have been decreasing every 8 rows not every 9.... so I still have 2 more decreasing rows to do AFTER I knit the other 16..And Im already down to 106 stitches..

Does this mean I have to start over?!?! BTW, I was trying to make a size XL. Which is the last numer in the () :verysad: :verysad: :verysad: :wall: :wall: :wall: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

zkimom 01-21-2007 08:40 AM

First, you're not the only one to make that kind of mistake.

I have done it and had to frog many projects. :!!!:

I try to read through every pattern at least once and then circle or highlight the numbers for the size I'm working on so there is no confusion.

That said, I don't think you have any other choice but to rip down to before your decreases and start again. If you feel like you can do it you can just frog it to the first decrease row and pick up your stitches or else you can take it down a stitch at a time till you are back to your first decrease row. Then just start again.

If you need help picking up any dropped stitches there's a video in the Basic Techniques sections that will help with that.

If you are getting your gauge or are close to it and you are that far off with your stitch count, your sweater will not fit.

You will be so much happier with your sweater if you take the time to make it right!
:happydance:

Best,
Susan

Stiney 01-21-2007 11:08 AM

I would think you'd need to get the decreases in the right spot, because they shape the sweater, and otherwise it won't fit properly. :hug:

I've done all kinds of stupid stuff like that, don't worry.

I would watch Amy's videos on re-inserting a needle before you frog.

suzeeq 01-21-2007 11:22 AM

You wouldn't need to go back to the first decrease row, but the second one. That's the one where the error was made. Go back, put the row on your needles as you take out the decs, knit that row plain, then decrease the next row and you're on your way.

sue

zkimom 01-21-2007 11:24 AM

Re-inserting the needle is a great suggestion -- I wish I knew about that a long time ago! I don't know why I didn't think about that seeing as I was just reading about it the other day!

It should make your frogging a heck of a lot easier!

Thanks to Cawthraven! :cheering:

Best,
Susan