KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First bag...extra stitches!! :( (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52442)

scarlettbegonias1 01-26-2007 12:42 AM

First bag...extra stitches!! :(

Hi, I am having an issue with my first felted bag. I just finished knitting 50 rows with 96 stitches casted on and just realized I have 2 extra stitches. My question is since it is a felted bag and the number of stitches on the needle is still an even number, is there maybe a way of tweaking the rest of the pattern?

This is the pattern.

Work even in stockinette stitch for 50 rounds. (this is where I am)
Add novelty yarn knit 1 round. Change to reverse stockinette and continue for 18 rounds.

Top Edge: Continue with wool yarn only.

Round 1: *k2tog, k10* repeat around. (88 sts.)
Round 2 & 4: Purl.
Round 3: knit
Round 5: cast off knitwise.

Thanks so much, I really don't want to have to undo everything I have already done, I will take a little less than perfect object if I have to.

Ingrid 01-26-2007 12:50 AM

I'd just knit two together at the beginning and middle of the next round and continue. It won't make any difference at all, and your decreases will be even later.

scarlettbegonias1 01-26-2007 12:52 AM

Thank you so much, I really didn't want to have to undo all of that!! I'm not sure I know what you mean by my decreases will be even later. I'm still fairly new to knitting.

Ingrid 01-26-2007 12:58 AM

Round 1: *k2tog, k10* repeat around. (88 sts.)

That's your decrease round. I assume that it's based on the number of stitches you're supposed to have in order to work out evenly.

scarlettbegonias1 01-26-2007 01:05 AM

Oh right, I think I've got it now. Thank you so much once again for your help. Hopefully soon, I will be posting My very first useable felted bag. :D

Ingrid 01-26-2007 01:07 AM

:happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

scarlettbegonias1 01-27-2007 05:34 PM

I have a couple more questions about the bag. Actually, about the handles. #1 It says use size 11 needles, I have 10 and 13, could I substitute or do I need to wait until I get size 11? #2 The pattern says Row 1: k4, yf, slip 3, turn.
Row 2: Taking yarn across back of work, pull firmly then k4, yf, slip 3, turn. Repeat.

My question is when I yf and then slip 3 and then turn, when I go to knit the next 4, the leading yarn is not the front piece of the stitch. Is this right? If so, do I knit the leading piece of yarn which is behind the needle or do I knit the yarn that is on the front of the needle?

Wow, lots of questions. I will appreciate anyones help, Thanks in advance.

Ingrid 01-27-2007 06:09 PM

I don't think it's imperative that you have size 11's for the handle.

What you're doing with the handle will end up looking like a double icord. Use the yarn from where it's at, even though it's a few stitches over. When you pull it tightly like the directions say, you will roll those 3 stitches into a little tube--icord.

scarlettbegonias1 01-28-2007 02:02 PM

Thanks for your help once again. I didn't really ask the question right. After I k4 and then slip 3 and then turn the work, my first couple of stitches are twisted on the needle. Which part of the stitch do I knit into?
:??

Ingrid 01-28-2007 04:09 PM

Slip the stitches as if to purl and they won't be twisted.

If you do have a twisted stitch, just knit through the back loop.