KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Mini Cable Stitch (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53083)

stitchwitch55 02-04-2007 11:32 PM

Mini Cable Stitch

I am a fairly new knitter, and have found a pattern on the lion brand site for a mini cable...
I have tried and tried and tried..until I am screaming..I just cannot get it.
It says the pattern for a single repeat is five stitches.(four for pattern and 1 extra).and there are four rows to do a pattern...
NOw you wouldn't do just one cable but I finally ended up doing that because I was casting on so many times it was making me nuts..
It goes like this
Row 1 *P1, k3; rep from *, end p1.
Row 2 and 4 *K1, p3; rep from *, end k1
Row 3 *P1, skip 2 sts, k third sst on LH needle, k first st, ksecond st, then sl these 3 sts off LH needle; rep from *, end p1.
You rep these four rows for the pattern..
It is of course row 3 that is driving me up the wall, I k the third st, but when I try to do the first and second st, I have such a twisted mess..I have tried so many times I had to throw the yarn away and start fresh...can someone help me..? :verysad:

brendajos 02-05-2007 12:18 AM

here are the instructions just as they are on the Lion site... i don't get it either but there they are.

Mini Cable
(multiple of 4 sts plus 1)

Note: the instructions below are a generic description of how to execute this stitch pattern. For a single repeat, you'd only need five stitches (four plus the 1 extra) but you'd have a VERY narrow piece! In the example shown, there are eight repeats of the stitch, so to make a swatch that looks like the one shown, you need to cast on 33 stitches (4 x the multiple of 8 stitches plus 1 extra)

Row 1 (RS) *P1, k3; rep from *, end p1.
Rows 2 and 4 *K1, p3; rep from *, end k1.
Row 3 *P1, skip 2 sts, k third st on LH needle, k first st, k second st, then sl these 3 sts off LH needle; rep from *, end p1.

Rep rows 1-4.

cam90066 02-05-2007 12:28 AM

Just tried it. For R3, I did P1, *K3rd/1st/2nd, P1* and it looks like pic. When you do the 3-st sequence, make sure the wraps you're making with each st are loose enough to allow for maneuvering the 3.

HTH,

cam

suzeeq 02-05-2007 01:15 AM

If it makes it easier to figure out, try this.... take a dpn or stitch holder or another needle and slip the first 2 sts off the left needle and hold them out of the way in back (or front - I don't have the picture) of your work. Then knit the first stitch from the holder, then the 2nd stitch. Mini cable done.

sue

ts65 11-25-2012 09:18 PM

Try this...

I know it's been awhile since you posted this, but I thought I would post to help someone in the future (I had to tear it out a few times before I FINALLY figured it out).

my pattern was a bit different (skip 2 sts and knit 3rd st on LH needle, k first st, k second st, slip these off... in other words no P1 first -in other words, no P1 first)

Here's how i did it.

Slip the first 2 stitches onto another similar sized knitting needle. Pull that needle to the front to get it out of the way. Knit the 3rd stitch. Slide the 2 stitches from the 3rd needle back onto the left needle. Then knit those 2 stitches. (then P1 or do whatever the rest of your row requires.)

**Note... when you slide the 2 stitches back onto the left needle, do it just as you took them off. Don't try to knit off the 3rd needle.

Hope this helps!