KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Which DPNs for first socks? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53512)

kristinw 02-11-2007 09:08 PM

Which DPNs for first socks?

So I am going to start Silver's tutorial on socks. I have bamboo DPNs and I have metal (knit picks). Which would be best for a DPN newbie??

Knitting_Guy 02-11-2007 09:15 PM

I'm in the middle of my first sock using Silver's Sock Class. I guess it really depends on what size/type of yarn you're going to use as well as which ones you're more comfortable with.

I'm doing mine with worsted weight on size 6 metal DPNs if that helps any. It's going quite well and is actually easier than I thought it would be. Silver's tutorial is great.

PCwombat 02-11-2007 09:20 PM

Yarn is usually less likely to slip off of bamboo needles, which makes it easier.

redwitch 02-11-2007 11:49 PM

They only make it easier if you are a loose knitter. If you are a tight knitter, you're more likely to prefer metal needles so the stitches don't stick. I have never had a metal needle fall out of a needle-full of stitches. However some people don't like the hardness and coldness of metal needles. I say go with whatever material you prefer in straight needles.

Sarah

Ronda 02-12-2007 07:41 AM

I've had both metal and wooden DPN fall out of my stitches. In fact, it happened to me just last night! :hair:

Yarnlady 02-12-2007 08:24 AM

Start out with the bamboo ones and get past the intitial joining and first couple rows where, IMO, sts are more likely to fight back. Then switch to the metal ones and see which ones you like best. I did my last pair of socks on wood DPNs and it was fine. I'm doing this pair on metal ones and they work great, too. Like a lot of things, it's personal preference.

Silver 02-12-2007 08:44 AM

I'd suggest the bamboo, but like everyone said, it's a personal preference.

kristinw 02-12-2007 08:51 AM

Thanks everyone! I decided to go with the bamboo. And guess what!??! I'M DOING IT!! I actually have started a sock!! I have about an inch of the ribbing done. I only had knit picks essentials and I ended up using size 2 needles. I was thinking at first I would have a hard time since they were so small, but I am doing great. After that first round it got easier and easier! :cheering: I'm so stinking proud of myself!

Thanks Kristin for your great class! (oh and you are great anyway since you spell your name right! :thumbsup: )

Silver 02-12-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kristinw
Thanks Kristin for your great class! (oh and you are great anyway since you spell your name right! :thumbsup: )

LOL You're welcome Kristin! Hee!
Do you cringe when people spell your name with an E too? :?

kristinw 02-12-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver
Quote:

Originally Posted by kristinw

LOL You're welcome Kristin! Hee!
Do you cringe when people spell your name with an E too? :?

OMG! Totally! :!!!: :roflhard: