KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   How do you keep your patterns organized? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54982)

vaknitter 03-05-2007 11:59 AM

How do you keep your patterns organized?

:shrug: I have so many patterns that I have printed of this site and others, but I have no idea how to catalog and keep track of them. Do you have a filing cabinet drawer, 3 ring binder....just pocketfolders....I need help. I have been telling my husband for months that I would organize my craft room (we are newlyweds and I need to make room for him in the house and he needs to put his computer desk in the multipurpose/craft room) and I just can't seem to get it going.....

HamaLee 03-05-2007 12:03 PM

My printer stinks so I never print out my patterns, god help me if I did because I'm the most unorganized person ever :oops: . Right now everything is just bookmarked in my browser--until my computer dies and I lose them all and then panic.

My purchased patterns and pattern magazines are lurking all over my apartment...it's bad! :teehee:

projectgal 03-05-2007 12:05 PM

I try to keep most of my patterns on my computer, scanning those that I received in a paper form.

I only print the pattern that I am using and then throw it away after I've used and marked it.

I'd be interested in how others store their patterns though; this should be a good thread.

brendajos 03-05-2007 12:09 PM

I totally keep mine organized by category here. It seems to work out really well for me!

:teehee:

Stiney 03-05-2007 12:13 PM

I have a binder, but I only have been printing them as I use them. Often after I've made it. :teehee:

I try and remember to save patterns to my desktop, but I've been very spotty about doing so.

vaknitter 03-05-2007 12:32 PM

HAHA - Brendajos you're too funny. I use that system too.

I print patterns that I have used and am going to use and I also have a done taking up space on my computer. My poor laptop is starting to act its age and I am afraid to rely on it to store my patterns much longer so I am trying to decide if I should start moving them to a CD-RW or if I should just slowly print and file them....

I am seriouly thinking about file folders labelled - hats, scarfs, bags, babies, misc and adding them to my existing filing cabinet.

Once I get this solved - we move onto how to store yarn such that I can close the closet door :teehee: If I mention the use of power tools maybe I can get DH to build me some shelves in the closet

DianaM 03-05-2007 12:55 PM

At the moment, I have a 400GB external drive where I store pretty much everything. I have a folder for knitting and crochet with subdivisions for hats, socks, sweaters, etc.

I'm slowly starting to print out some of them as I knit them up and can add side notes to the prints. They're going into a 3-ring binder and sheet protectors.

momwolf 03-05-2007 01:11 PM

I print out most of my patterns because I have found that some sites discontinue some patterns. So I put mine in 3 ring binders.I have one for sweaters and then I put them in catagorizes with the tab pages that you can slip in the little name tag.So in the sweaters binder I have cardigans--pullovers--tank top---summer--ect The only thing I had to buy was a 3 hole punch
I have a binders for
1 shawls --Hats--Scarfs
2 mens & Kids
3 Baby sweaters
4 how to stuff
5 socks
6 baby hats and buntings
7 Charts & peoples sizes I knit for

Well you get the idea

CarmenIbanez 03-05-2007 01:25 PM

I have binders at home that are organized by category. But I have been fallind down on the organization lately.

DQ 03-05-2007 01:37 PM

I'm still only beginning (but getting increasingly more obsessed!) so I only have one box to store things in...might add another box so I can organise things a bit more. I've got all my loose patterns in a ring binder in plastic wallets. They aren't really in any order yet though...

I print off patterns I really like because I don't want to go back to them and found they've gone! But I've also got a lot of patterns bookmarked and organised on the computer too :happydance: