KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Bicycle fair isle (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55562)

callmesusan 03-14-2007 11:08 PM

Bicycle fair isle

Does anyone know of a fair isle pattern with a bicycle motif?

boyforpele13 03-15-2007 12:34 AM

no, but i found this in my SnB page a day calendar. you can stick any picture you want in there and it will return a chart, pretty freakin cool! :)

redwitch 03-15-2007 01:55 AM

If you want a largish bicycle, you're probably thinking of intarsia, where the knitpro chart would be great. I'm not sure about fairisle, I don't recall seeing anything like that done before, would be really interested to see how you went with that! Actually, I don't see why it wouldn't work for FI/stranded knitting too. Remember you need to select the knit-shaped stitches, as they aren't square, and that an image in FI may look jagged at low-res, so if you have trouble with it looking pixellated, a bigger\more stitches motif may be better?
Sounds interesting, please keep us updated!

Sarah

stacyk9 03-15-2007 09:35 AM

Sean- that site is too freakin' cool!!!!!!!!! :happydance: :woot:

callmesusan 03-15-2007 07:39 PM

bicycle

Thank you :muah:

I have used KnitPro before but didn't bookmark it and couldn't find it last night. Thank you!!

Also, I don't really know the difference between fair isle and intarsia and plain ol' knitting with two colors.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

redwitch 03-16-2007 01:02 AM

Stranded knitting involves holding two colours at once, often one in each hand, when a colour isn't used it's passed behind the knitting, usually for no more than 5 stitches. FI is a type of stranded knitting but people generally use FI to mean the same thing. Most colourwork mittens have stranded knitting-type motifs/patterns.
Intarsia is the kind that you have probably seen on jumpers with a cartoon character on the front in different colours. See the videos here on how-to or find tutorials online. Knitty has a good explanatory article on stranded knitting.
If you want a single biggish bike on the front of a jumper etc. you probably need intarsia. The simpler the motif, the easier it will be to knit.

The snowflake or geographic-type motifs you often see on hats or mittens are stranded knitting, if you see a cartoon character on the middle front of a jumper that's probably intarsia - does that make sense?

Maybe try searching both methods in the FO forum to see examples?

Sarah

knitterookangeroo 10-06-2013 03:13 PM

i was looking for a fair isle bicycle chart too and found this mitten pattern called "rabrai mittens" on ravelry. i tried to paste the link in here but the website doesn't like me to so you might have to search it yourself. i guess you could use the chart bit from this to use for whatever it is you are planning to use it for. of course you can choose whatever colours suits your needs. hope this helps!