KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Best way to frog a few rows back? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57042)

baronreads 04-12-2007 05:36 PM

Best way to frog a few rows back?

I did just fine until I got to this 3rd color and I've had more mistakes! I've already frogged once, but it still doesn't look right. When I ripped it I just think I dropped or twisted or whatever the stitches. My loops that are left for me to put the needle back on are very small and it's just frustrating. Any hints? I'm thinking about frogging back to the last color, maybe the stitches will be easier to see and pick up?? :hair:

betsylynn 04-12-2007 05:40 PM

try picking up the stitches with a smaller needle, at least 2-3 sizes smaller than your working size. then when you have all of your stitches accounted for, use your working size to knit the row again.

sorry, it is a PITA when you have to frog back.

another option would be to add a lifeline every so many rows and rip back to that if you mess up again.

good luck!

Ingrid 04-12-2007 05:44 PM

Or when you get to the last row you're going to rip out, slip the needle in as each stitch pops out.

baronreads 04-12-2007 06:13 PM

UGH! How FRUSTRATING! I ended up going back to the color change cuz then at least I knew what needle the old color was on and therefore knew where I was in the P, K combo. I'm also hoping that if it is still messed up that it doesn't show as much with the color change. I guess I can't do 2 things at once! At least not knitting and something else! x-(

Orangeus 04-12-2007 08:38 PM

I feel your pain. Don't know what you're knitting, but I have the Curse of the Ripping Stripes as well. (sorry, couldn't think of a better name). I've had to rip back rows on striped knee socks so many times....

The thing I realised, was that after a while, it doesn't matter, just pick up the stitches however possible, even if they end up being backwards, because you can always fix them AFTER they are safely back on the needles, with no threat of ruined knitting.

A footnote to that bit of advice; Learn what the stitches look like, it will make your life so much easier. Here is a handy picture if you wanted one!

baronreads 04-12-2007 09:05 PM

Great pic! Thanks! I'm also paying more attention to what the stitch looks like that I'm picking up, so I know if I'm counting right or not. I really have to concentrate hard though! I don't know how people do multiple things while knitting! :??

Orangeus 04-12-2007 09:18 PM

Glad to help! Shortly after taking that picture, all that ribbing got frogged. It was too big around, hahah.

It just takes some practice! When I first learned to knit, I ended up with about twice as many stitches as I started with most of the time. Now I can knit my socks while watching TV... or in the case today, frog my sock while watching TV!