KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Patons SWS (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57705)

Ronda 04-25-2007 05:59 AM

Patons SWS

Has anyone else found that this yarn is hard to frog? I don't know how to explain it, but it seems to stick to itself. I've had to cut my yarn and/or start all over because I simply cannot frog this yarn. :-x

mimi 04-25-2007 07:12 AM

Ronda, I just finished a soaker with SWS, and while it looks very pretty, I had to redo the kitchener stitch several times and yes, the yarn stuck to itself, and the stitch definition became more and more unclear. Moral : when using SWS be very careful.

vaknitter 04-25-2007 07:13 AM

I made a booga bag out of it and didn't care for it at all. I very much understand what you mean about it sticking to itself. Didn't enjoy knitting with it and it super SHRUNK when I felted it.

I talked to my LYS and they said - Yup, that's what you get for buying Patons : )

SandraEllen 04-25-2007 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vaknitter
I talked to my LYS and they said - Yup, that's what you get for buying Patons : )

well... i think that's unfair.

It's a feltable yarn and it's not plied at all. i think any yarnlike that would stick to itself a lot.

dustinac 04-25-2007 08:26 AM

I have used it for a hat and Danica.. I love the way it looks and it is very soft to work with I thought.. that being said if you frog it a lot it will stick together I ran into this when I started Danica.. but I have seen other yarns do the same.. I think lamb's pride seems to as well...

I was wanting to do an Entrelac bag out of the Natural pink but read online first that you have to check SWS a lot when felting.. it felts very fast...only reason why I didn't continue with my plan was cause some had said the natural pink doesn't felt and keep the colors as bright as the other colors...I still think I might order a skein and do a test some time.. cause I think it would be very pretty...

psammeadred 04-25-2007 08:38 AM

Since it's a single-ply yarn, it has a lot of loose fibers that felt themselves and stick to each other VERY easily. As long as you keep that in mind, it's a nice yarn.

marykz 04-25-2007 08:47 AM

I just used ot to crochet a little bag as a gift, and to make a loose lacy scarf. The tight fabric of the crochet was much easier. It is a little too sticky and fuzzy for the scarf I wanted.

here's the bag:

SWS has pretty colorways, and will find its place in my yarn universe for the right projects....

Ronda 04-25-2007 08:53 AM

Nice bag!

auburnchick 04-25-2007 10:22 AM

I used it for calorimetry and loved the feel of it.

feministmama 04-25-2007 10:37 AM

I must admit I :heart: this yarn. Its like knitting with a thin strand of roving. It so soft and pretty and I'm excited to hear it felts really good. I'm making a bag with it. I'm also making the candle flame shawl and I made an earflap hat with it. Yes it does stick to itself when frogging. It is a test of your patience and I find it a good meditation. If you can frog this stuff then you can face anything!