Forum Forum (
-   How-to Questions (
-   -   Bookmark (

stacyk9 05-04-2007 05:28 PM

I was thinking of making this bookmark for my Mom because I'm giving her a "book basket" for her birthday, but I don't know what selvedge stitch is? :shrug:


stacyk9 05-04-2007 05:37 PM

Never mind. I answered my own question!! I tried googling it and didn't find a very difinitive answer, but I dug through some sites and finally found it.

knitwit88 05-04-2007 05:50 PM

good, I'm glad you found it, could you post what selvedge stitch is on here please??

knitwit628 05-04-2007 06:36 PM

Ya, what is selvedge stitch? :shrug:

Ingrid 05-04-2007 07:49 PM

Selvedge comes from "self-edge." It's just an edging of a stitch at the beginning and end of a row to keep it even. Sometimes patterns include them in the stitch count, and sometimes, not.

stacyk9 05-04-2007 09:17 PM

Selvedge Stitch

It looks like it's meant to make a clean edge, especially if you're going to be doing some sewing.


suzeeq 05-05-2007 01:00 AM

BTW, it's not a stitch per se as in `knit' stitch, `purl' stitch - it's just the stitch on the edge, either knit, purl or slipped.


hydeemarie 05-05-2007 08:14 PM

basically isn't it just a slip stitch? :hmm:

suzeeq 05-06-2007 12:10 AM

Usually, though some patterns may say to knit the selvedge stitches in garter - k the first and last of every row. Or they may have you do something else entirely.


stacyk9 05-07-2007 10:06 AM

Yeah. I basically just did a knit stitch on the ends.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.