KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Gauge, dp needles, circular, ack! Hat Help!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58630)

Teeka 05-15-2007 11:19 AM

Gauge, dp needles, circular, ack! Hat Help!!

Ok, I understand the concept of gauge, but in my short (four month) time as a knitting freak, I've never bothered to check gauge because I was only making a scarf, and who cares? Right?

Well, I want to try my first "garment," a hat. http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/kpatt01.htm I got great yarn and dp needles and thought I was ready to go. It turns out that I'm a dummy and bought SIZE 1 straight needles. What was I thinking? Well, the store (I'm in Bogotá, Colombia right now...) only had sizes 0, 1 and HUGE. I knew the huge wouldn't work, so I thought the 1s would be something I could adapt to. Well...They are too small for me to even hold!

So I thought, well I'll do it on a circular needle. Well, the more appropriately sized one (3.5 mm) is too long, and the one that seems to be the right length is more like 7 mm. The pattern calls for size 7 (anyone know what that is in mm?) or whatever you need to achieve the gauge (hence the gauge part of this question). The gauge should be 5 = 1 inch stockinette stitch.

Can I just throw up my hands and try the pattern on the 7 mm circular? do I have to haave dp needles? Can you fudge dp needles and just use three straight needles together?

:shrug:

Ridiculous questions, I'm sure, but I don't want to go back to the store (involves taxis and much hassle--I can't just jump into the car and buzz over to my cute neighborhood yard store.)

Thanks for any suggestions / advice!!

SandraEllen 05-15-2007 11:33 AM

Well, here's the deal. 7mm needles are closer to 10 1/2 or size 11 needles. size 7 needles are 4.5mm so those 7mm are going to be pretty darn big.

size 1 are going to be WAY too small.

3 straight needles won't work because they just don't. they have the knobs on the back and you need to be able to put stitches on one side and take them off the other.

what you CAN do is make a hat flat and then seam up the back. you can try searching KPC for hats knit on straight needles or try usingthis pattern without the logo.

hope that helps!

RuthK 05-15-2007 11:38 AM

How long is the 3.5 mm circular needle? Long enough to do magic loop?

suzeeq 05-15-2007 11:46 AM

You could use the 7 mm, but CO less stitches. Or CO more stitches and use the 3.5mm and use the magic loop or side loop method to shorten up the length.

sue

Teeka 05-15-2007 04:33 PM

Gosh, that was quick! Thanks!!

The 3.5 mm circular is about (I have to measure it w/ a ruler; the package said nothing about length on it) 76 centimeters. The 7 mm circular is about 60 centimeters. I realized that I made another boo-boo. The yarn I bought is lovely and soft but I don't think it's the "size" yarn that the pattern calls for. It's quite thin and delicate.

I watched the Magic Loop video and feel a bit intimidated at the thought. But I haven't tried it, and I always learn better by trying it along w/ the video. So maybe that's an option. How long does the wire have to be to do ML? I don't remember the video saying (but that must be my memory; I'll go look after I post this.

Thanks to for the alternative pattern! maybe I should just try that one.

:muah:

Thanks again!! I'll let you know what I end up trying.

suzeeq 05-15-2007 11:25 PM

If it's thin yarn you would use the small needles. However, you could also save that for a more appropriate project and get some thicker yarn for a hat. 60cm is about 24" and the 76" is about 30", so that's a bit long for a hat, but not if you did it with Magic Loop.

sue

Teeka 05-23-2007 10:03 AM

Well, I ended up doing magic loop, and it worked! HOWEVER, in this first attempt at circular knitting, magic loop knitting, and joining in a second color, my hat is a bit of a mess. Still, I'll wear it around the house or walking the dog, I think! The two biggest problems is that it is HUGE and that once I went magic loop to do the decreasing somehow I got it all turned around and ended up with the reverse stockinette on the outside and the regular stockinette on the inside. Sigh. It's too much of a disaster to even bother with salvaging it. Live and learn, right?

suzeeq 05-23-2007 11:45 AM

You might have flipped the hat inside out, that happens some times.