KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Baby Knit oddball blanket- PG 14- UPDATE!!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59189)

snowbear 05-24-2007 10:40 PM

Baby Knit oddball blanket- PG 14- UPDATE!!!!!

I borrowed this idea from Shandeh with her permission.

I knit for babies. Newborns, premies, babies in need of love.. wether it be in the hospital, in the foster care.. wherever.

Upon reading the oddball blankets & shawls.. I thought of adding my idea for babies.

If you would like to be a part of a group who knits for babies.. read on.

I would start blankets and sent to the next one on the list. The only requirement would be to knit with love for these wee little ones. Since baby blankets would be smaller.. I would suggest knitting about 3 inches.. then passing to the next. This way I can start several blankets, and they can all be knit with love in mind. You choose the pattern, color, texture.. etc. I'll send you the blanket started, and the list of who gets it next.

I've seen babies in need of warm loving blankets. It breaks my heart. I can't do all I want.. and this way.. others can join in a very worthwhile and fun knit a long.

Since my Grandmother use to get together to do quilting bees, I think she would approve of modern tehnology to change needle types and still produce a gift of love.

Yarnlady 05-25-2007 09:18 AM

Where will these blankets be donated? xxx

snowbear 05-25-2007 11:47 AM

The blankets will be donated to our local children's hospital. They specialize in infants & children. They have the dauting task of helping those infants who have been abused, injured, and extremely ill. I have been giving them blankets.. 1-2 every other month for quite a long time, and they are deeply appreciative of the gifts.

When some of these babies come in they have nothing, and to have a blanket that is theirs be able to stay with them, gives them a sence of security.

The nursing staff is very carefull to make sure the blanket stays with that infant and they become very attached to it. The toddlers themselves are allowed to pick a blanket if there is a choice.

The procedures and medical testing that some go through is aided by having an item that is theirs.. and isn't taken away each time.

Thank you for asking..

Shandeh 05-25-2007 01:24 PM

Good luck with your Baby Blanket knit-along, my friend! :muah:

Just one word of advice. It would probably be best to keep the list of addresses secure at your house. Most knitters won't want their mailing address available to everyone else.

snowbear 05-25-2007 02:49 PM

Great advice, I agree totally, and meant to say I'll email each one where the next stage would go, that way, only the previous knitter would know where the blanket was going to be mailed. Even though we are a "knitting family" we all need to be protective with sensitive information.

Shandeh 05-25-2007 06:20 PM

I'll join your knit-along!

What kind of yarn are we using?

I'm thinking we might need to avoid some yarn, since some babies are allergic to certain fibers.

misha rf 05-25-2007 09:47 PM

What a fabulous idea!! I'd love to join in!!

Yarnlady 05-25-2007 10:04 PM

Okay, I'm in!

snephenie 05-25-2007 11:33 PM

Most excellent idea!!! Being a mom it breaks my heart to hear of children suffering. anything I can do to help, I'm up for it :)

Shall we PM you our mailing address?

Yarnlady 05-26-2007 08:56 AM

I would suggest acrylic yarns. They are just the easiest for staff to take care of, wear long, and stay bright. :star: