KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Cascade Fixation????? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60037)

Sanibelle 06-09-2007 08:37 AM

Cascade Fixation?????

Has anyone used this yarn?

I finally decided to go back and try the sock thing again. WHen I went to my LYS, the owner, who is great, sat with me and got me started. I decided to make the pedicure socks from Knitty using Cascade Fixation.

Finished the first one last night but when I put it on it looked so stretched out. Is there a trick to working with it? When it was on the needles it looked fine.

Thanks all!

dakatzmeow 06-09-2007 11:27 AM

i just started using fixation making amy's headband with the pocket for your mp3, phone, etc. in her notes, she says she stretches it quite a bit, not to the point of being taut, but a fair amount.

hth,
Lori

Silver 06-09-2007 03:57 PM

Fixation is a little finicky to work with. I knit it on smaller needles and that seems to work well for me. You should do a gauge swatch with Fixation not so much for a stitch gauge but to determine how stretchy you want the finished fabric.

mimi 06-10-2007 03:26 PM

I made a pair of baby socks with Cascade Fixation and they turned out so nicely. While working with it you have to remember that there is a bit of stretch to it, so ease up on the tension. I also heard from other knitters that it is "pebbly" to walk on, but the colors are beautiful !

Jeremy 06-10-2007 04:44 PM

I've knit with it and I like it but it is a little like knitting rubber bands.

Sanibelle 06-10-2007 06:53 PM

So do you pull it tight when you knit with it so it does not stretch out when you put the socks on???? Is that the trick...

Well I least I made a sock... turned the heal and did the gusset thing... and it was really fun. I think I will put this down for awhile and see if I can make a real pair. I bought some beautiful Lorna's Laces when I tried to take a class... so maybe I will try those.

Thanks all

Jeremy 06-10-2007 09:30 PM

I just treat it normally. It doesn't really need to be stretched.

projectgal 06-10-2007 09:37 PM

I made the lace headband in the KnitPicks catalog with Fixation. It did take a little getting used to, but K2togs were a breeze!

Shandeh 06-10-2007 09:44 PM

I'm a tight knitter, so I tend to stretch Fixation while I'm knitting with it. So, it's really impossible for me to know what size it will turn out to be. One day, with more experience, I hope I can make it a bit more predictable.

KellyK 06-10-2007 10:45 PM

I REALLY prefer Crystal Palace Panda Cotton. Its mostly bamboo and cotton, but it has a little elastic. It doesnt stretch anywhere NEAR as much as Fixation, which I did NOT enjoy knitting with. Its really more similar to knitting with wool... it has a smidgen more stretch than that. And, the colors are even more fantasticker than Fixation... :teehee: