KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Theory For Charity Project (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60455)

knitwit88 06-16-2007 06:03 PM

Theory For Charity Project

Please note: this is just an idea and I will not be attempting to organize this project. I was thinking, since scarves are really quick knits, if a lot of people made 2 scarves, we could donate them to a charity that helps the homeless, especially in cold areas. What do you think?

Miss Moosey 06-16-2007 06:57 PM

My Hebrew School once did a hand-knitted scarf drive like that (there were a lot of knitters in our ranks) and we donated them to a local shelter.

The shelter was very very appreciative; homeless people often don't get brand new clothes that are also handmade with love.

I think it's an awesome idea!

Rebecca

knitwit628 06-16-2007 07:15 PM

I think it would be a wonderful thing to do :) scarves are so easy to make and you can do so many different designs. Are you going to knit some scarves for your local shelter knitwit88?

Shandeh 06-18-2007 03:45 PM

:thumbsup:

aineepooh1 06-18-2007 03:49 PM

Shandeh~ How is this different from the Red Scarf Project?

:think:

Shandeh 06-18-2007 03:52 PM

It actually sounds a lot like the Red Scarf Project. That project is just to benefit orphans, though.

We could look for a place that accepts handknit scarves, and just mail them there ourselves.

Yarnlady 06-19-2007 09:02 AM

If we want to continue this discussion into reality, I'd like to suggest sending the scarves to the Cheyenne River Agency in Eagle Butte, SD. IT's a Lakota Reservation and it gets REALLLLLY cold there in the winters. The items are not given to the NAs, but put in a store house where they can be purchased for a minimal fee. This protects the pride of the people as they are working and providing for themselves and their families. The very young and very old, as always are at risk the most.

Here is more info about the yahoo group that helps Cheyenne River. There is an address at the bottom of the page where scarves can be sent.

knitwit628 06-19-2007 11:20 AM

That does sound like fun. Since scarves are so easy to make this would be a definite quick knit. I might have to make a scarf or two... :happydancing:

Renoah 06-22-2007 10:41 PM

Am I the only one who thinks scarves are actually sort of a long knit? I'd go for hats. Mittens, even. Baby mittens. Or slippers or something. A scarf can be long and monotonous! :ick:

2x4 06-23-2007 07:07 AM

Theory for Charity Project

Hello, I belong to a small church group who routinely make handmade items for our various church members. We once made scarves and hats for our church traffic team and they loved the items. They were not people in need but the appreciation was evident! Your idea would also be appreciated.